KSW10 conection question(s)

amazingstranger

So, I recently bought the 10" sub, and now I'm faced with this question: output isn't staggering at this point, would using a y-adaptor help tremendously? Other posts seem to indicate it would, BUT, how do I connect it? At the receiver's OUTS, or at the sub's INS? AND, if I do this, will I have to use the sub's filter (that I don't use while I'm just connected to the LFE IN)?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

quote:

Originally posted by dougdrake:

amazing - On your receiver, do you have all bass directed to the sub or only the ".1" LFE? What are your front speakers - are they set to large or small?

From what I've read, you will also want to use a y-adapter at the sub to connect into both the LFE input and the line level input.

Doug

Let's see... I have a Yamaha receiver that "lets" me direct the sub to either me Mains (Boston Acoustisc 3-way towers), Sub or BOTH. I have it set to Sub.

I have the Mains set to Large, but I have the center and surrounds set to Small.

I'll definitely try the Y-thing, and I may even change cables. I have a Monster series 300 sub cable now.

What else might you suggest?

Thanks for your help!

Hmm, a little rusty here, but here goes an attempt...

With the way you have your bass management configured, your mains are getting full range, your center/surrounds are getting bass above your Yahama's crossover point (guessing it's around 80hz, but that might be customizable depending on your receiver), and your sub is getting only the bass in the .1 channel and that below 80hz that is in the center and rear channels.

The .1 channel generally has very little content -- not many soundtracks make use of it. Thus, your sub is left with the bass in the center and surrounds. Again, probably not as much bass in those channels as you would think.

So I think that your sub just isn't getting much work to do. You might try changing the setting on your bass management to send all bass to both fronts and the sub. That will cause it to share the bass from the front channels as well as getting all the center and surrounds. However, the sub might cancel out bass from the BA's. You won't know until you try it. The other thing you can try is setting the fronts to small (and direct all bass to the sub). Again, see how that sounds.

What's the frequency response on your fronts?

I don't think changing cables will make the changes you are looking for. Also, doesn't the Monster come with a y-adapter that you can use?

if u bot the monster that recently, they do make a sub cable w/ the Y built in (less connections that way). phase may not make a big dif. really u may have to play w/ the sub's crossover control to get the best blend w/ your mains. since the receiver starts cutting the signal to the sub @ 80hz for low bass like on music cd's, u may find the best sub setting to be around 80hz for music. then for HT/lfe u may want to turn it all the way up to 120hz as lfe can go all the way up to that. this is why on a lot of newer sub designs they're putting a crossover in/out switch on 'em.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

So, I just replaced the cable (after trying ALL the things you've suggested) and lo and be, er, HEAR: thumpin' subwoofer, baby!

The cable was truly bad.

BUT THEN, I went back through your suggestions, and was rewarded with even MORE impressive subwoofer output! Next I will surely tweak the Low Pass Filter (though I had understood that when connected in this configuration the LP didn't actually function, was that wrong?)!

You guys RULE! Thanks a lot!

(now I just hope my neighbors don't learn to hate me every time I pop in "ID4")