Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 issues

Spyhawk

Well seems my Amp has started to have the same issues Ive seen posted about here. Was hoping Ide be one of the lucky ones when I first came here 3 years ago and noticed all the people having issues. This system has been the best Ive ever owned for a pc solution and it saddens me to see that its about to go the same route most of you have talked about.

Ok heres my issue. For the past week, everytime I turn it on, I get a high pitch squeel without any sound from the sats, but I get a garbled sound from the sub. After several minuts the squeel slowely subsides to null and the sound comes back and everything works like it should. I took a look at the amp circuitry and nothing seems to be burnt. Makes me think that some soldur points might be weakening somewhere in the circuitry but dont have a clue where this might be.

Ide appreciate any help on this issue. Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Spyhawk,

I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago, I came by here years ago and saw so many problems with the speakers from so many people, and I had a flawless 5.1 Ultra set.

My speakers started to give out the same squeal a few weeks ago, the only thing that worked on them was the headphone jack. I followed the instructions in this link: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/95842.aspx and found a temp fix. Basically the thread talks about wiggling a white BASH chip to restore sound to your satellites. Sounds nutty, but it worked for me and a few others. Unfortunately, this fix didn't last for me very long and I had to constantly open the back of the sub and wiggle the chip.

Some say this is due to an overheating issue that makes the chip go bad, another is that the chip gets so hot that it weakens the bond from the solder (which would make sense why wiggling it works). A more permanent solution would be to re solder the BASH chip to the board or contact Infinity (516-255-4525) and order a new chip (part HC1011) for $24 before shipping.

Personally, I ordered the chip, removed the solder (using a solder sucker/removal tool), and resoldered the new chip and that brought my speakers back to working order. It's surprising how good they sound after using headphones for about two weeks. ;)

Good luck!

K.C.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my original amp replaced a couple years ago and ive just been leaving my system on because its hit or miss with the replacement amp whether it will whine or not when i power the system on, its been more or less fine till I turn them off or have a power outage and they dont work for hours on end. very annoying. Also the past several weeks I have been having a lot of random hissing from the amp every so often. Guess replacing the BASH chip would work.or just using some electrical tape to hold it in place or just resolder the chip thats already present.Thanks for the link, it was time to get the data i needed

• 2 months later...

Hey KC, sounds like we all had the same problem. I fixed mine today by nudging the chip, but it sounds like most are saying it's only a temporary solution. I just wanted to know if your fix is still working problem free, or if the squeal has recurred.

And the soldering, do you mean you have to melt the metal connections on the bottom (like the dozen evenly spaced metal parts connecting the chip to the board)?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Alusiv,

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I've been away from a computer for a while.

Yes, for me nudging the chip was a temp solution. So far, since I've soldered in a new chip, I've had zero problems, problem fee! :)

And yes, the 15 prongs (on the underside of the board from the chip) that are soldered need to me melted and then remove the solder with a solder remover, I got my solder remover from radio shack. The chip wont come right out unless all prongs are 100% free, it took me a few times on some prongs to make sure they were off the board.

I'm pretty confident that if I simply resoldered the chip that it could work, but I didn't try this. If you're new to soldering (like I was) then look online to find out how to solder and remove solder correctly. I saw a few you tube videos before I started and found out that I've been soldering wrong all my life. :)

But if nudging it worked well and it's still working, then you could skip this altogether.

Good luck!

Groovy! Iit's been about two weeks since I nudged mine, and so far so good. But if it acts up again, I'll try resoldering it (I learned the basics of soldering in high school, thankfully) and if that doesn't permanently fix it, I'll buy a new chip.

Thanks for the info!

• 3 months later...