Dukane projector (D-ILA) advice needed

jdbeachbum

I have access to a DUKANE IMAGE PRO 9017 with the D-ILA technology for home theatre. Back in 2004 when they were produced they sold for over $10,000 dollars. Are the HD projectors out today for under 1000 dollars with new technology better than this older DUKANE unit? It had great reviews back then on the other forums. The only drawback is that it is a table mount which will create a bad set-up for the room. Rather have ceiling mount! This unit was given to me by a close friend which FREE is always a good thing in my book, but is there a better one now a days that is just as good or better for under a grand? Any help with info will get me started in the right direction.

Jack

From my understanding the projector you indicated is based upon a 4:3 image and 800:1 contrast ratio. The good news is it has a fairly high 1400x1050 resolution. If you are looking for HDTV and Blu-ray Home theater use, I think you can easily find a better projector for less that $1000. In that price range you can find new current model 720p projectors that are 16:9 native, brighter, longer bulb life, with much better blacks and contrast ratio's (10:000:1 vs 800). You might even be able to find a couple of old 1080p projectors (i.e. Epson powerite 1080 - not UB model) lightly used for that price range. Another advantage of the newer projectors is HDMI capability which makes installation easier and is much better quality.

Projector quality has increased dramitically and prices have gone way down over the last few years. The 1080p lcd projectors of the last two years have even increased more in quality and some of last years models (Epson 1080UB, Panasonic 2000, etc.) are not too much above your price range.

Thanks John, that's kinda what I had in my head, also. If you could recommend some other models to research that would be fantastic. I don't mind at all second hand or discontinued models. Again, many thanks.

Jack

Jack-

In 720P lcd projectors I would look at the Epson Home Cinema 720 or the Panasonic PT-AX200. Both of these sell new in the $9xx range and you can probably find a like new one used for $7-800. I just sold my Epson Home Cinema 720 last week and I still believe it is the best value (bang for buck) out there right now as far as picture quality.

If you are looking at new 1080P lcd projectors (sharper image, better contrast, and better blacks) I would look at the Panasonic AE-3000 or the Epson Home Cinema 6500 UB. Both of these will probably be <$2500. You also might be able to still find some discontinued new or like new Epson Home Cinema 1080UB or the Panasonic AE-2000 in the $13-1700 price range (Ebay or craigslist).

If you are just looking at current models, I would check out projectorreviews.com for a descent review of many projectors. The new yearly lineup of projectors is usually announced in the fall and often times you can get a very good deal on closeout models.