Variation on a Vertical Cornwall

WHayton

Has anyone had any experience with turning a Cornwall on its side and mounting the components Heresy II style ie. one above the other in tight formation and splitting the port either side of the bass driver? I’m currently using a Heresy II over the TV with Cornwall mains and Chorus rears but I want a Cornwall center in a five channel set-up.

TIA,

Will

Some older Cornwalls are of what we call the 'vertical' type where the horns are aligned vertically with the cabinet upright. Many members here have used them for center channel speakers in the horizontal position (lying on their long side). However the horns are top-aligned in that situation, not ideal for phase relationships. If I were to do that today (and I have plans to), I would create the new motorboard with the horns center-aligned in a tight pack like you mention.

You may have some difficulty removing the currnet motorboard from a CWII, as it may be let into dados in the side panels. Starting with fresh cabinet may be the way to go. You could keep the same woofer and port position though. I don't know that I've ever seen anyone move or change the port location/layout.

M,

Thanks for the reply. My current CWII’s motorboards have a gap all around the edge but thanks for the warning as I would not have expected them to be rebated into the sides (especially since I removed one from a Heresy with a few light blows). I intend to keep the port/s at the (new) bottom, just split into two since the bass speaker will be hard up against the base of the cabinet. Next step is to locate a single Cornwall in Arizona…Anyone out there have any contacts/leads?

Thanks,

Will