Need Help

Bob Foss

Thirty years ago, my wife and I bought Klipsch Heresy speakers and loved them. They are now long gone. We are older but not hard of hearing, but in setting up my HT (the builder in our new house has already put ceiling wiring in so I only want to use that) we are going to want to clearly hear our movies and sometimes the dialogue is hard to clearly understand. The center speaker is write above the TV so I think that will work. We won't be listening to music on the HT since we have iPods and a CD player in the car. I heard the in-ceiling Klipsch CDT-5650-C and their 8 inch counterparts, CDT-5800-C, and liked the clear, bright sound. But I also really like the features and reviews of the Yamaha RXV 565 receiver. Some say that combo is "too bright". Others say it is "detailed" and "crisp". I like those adjectives but for HT only, would that combo be too bright? We would be getting a 10-inch Klipsch sub-woofer...which is all the bass we could stand. We're not "bass" people, preferring clear, treble-like sounds. My salesmen wanted to steer me to an Onkyo receiver (which I understand runs hot) and another says Denon is the best. Reviews show Yamaha is teaming up with Klipsch on some things, so would this be acceptable for my and my wife's HT use? Any help would be appreciated since the Yamaha has the features I want for my Klipsch speakers. If that's not a good idea, which receiver brand then?

IMHO, I never liked Yamaha and Klipsch combo way to bright for me in the horns. I have listened to both and prefer the Denon combo with Klipsch. Thats just me. Why not ask the dealer if you could put a retainer down and take both home and have a listen for yourselves. Then take back the one you don't like. Any good dealer will usually allow this. Remember, your room plays more of a part with the sound quality than anything you can buy that is why testing is the best option.

Guest David H

I prefer the Dennon to the Yamaha, but I also like the Pioneer. I did a blind test in a Tweeter store, and chose the Pioneer Elite over the Dennon. I am sure they will all sound fine. Another thing, I strongly reccomend a receiver with auto setup.