rt10-d sub woofer problems

Mrpibb

I just finshed off my home theater system with a rt-10d sub. I have heard great things about it but I am unimpressed however.

I have a pair of rf-82 as the main speakers and at loud listening levels it seems they are giving more bass from their woofers than the sub. The room is fairly large 20*10*8. The sub is placed in the front of the listening area in the right corner with the active woofer aimed at the seating.

I have adjusted the sub to be as loud as possible and tried changing all the settings to see if anything made a difference to no avail.

On the reciever it is also set for the most bass as possible.

I have tried hooking the sub-out up to the left and right inputs of the sub and also used a y-cable to split it and connect both at once (seemed to help at low volumes, but made no difference at high volumes).

I have a speculation as to why the sub isnt performing as I would like.

I have an old sony reciever (str-de597) and it powers the speakers ok, but I want to get a better one when I have more money (probably a denon).

I am thinking that the sub-out has a weak voltage compared to more premium recievers. WOULD THIS MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN OUTPUT?

Do you have any other ideas how I can improve the output?

I cant think of any other reason for the lack of bass. Maybe it is just fine as is and I am just a bass fanatic and nothing will really make me happy for under $5000. I hope that isnt the answer, but quite possible. If this is the case can you reccomend a sub that will shake picture frames off my walls and make things fall off the shelf that will go well with the rest of my system?

I have:

rf-82's

rc-62

rs-42's

Thank you in advance for your help!

There is a thread on the Audio Video Science forum about bass managment and the consensus was that some receivers get it right, but the majority get it wrong.

Also, the Sony units aren't known for having a lot of voltage from the sub out. You can correct this with a device inline to boost the signal somewhat.

This is a very informative thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=8855640&postcount=1

I learned a lot reading that thread, but I am somewhat still confused. It has dts and its says that it should be somewhat full-proof becuase of this format.

I have already adjusted the sub-out to +10db to make it as loud as possible (thats as high as it will go) before making the posting.

So do you think a inline signal booster will really make much difference. Will it damage either the sub or the amp?

Is a better amp the real solution to my problem? Do you have a suggestion on a good amp that is less than $2000 new?

Since I am not there to do any diagnosis or anything of that matter.... I can make suggestions only. Can you check with Sony to see what the maximum voltage out of the AV receiver is? Have you tried other sub placement options? If you walk around the room, are there spots that are a lot louder than others when you play heavy bass?

If you can't change your sub location, you may be able to change your listening position slightly.

I can't seem to locate the specs on the voltage gain of the RT10D, or the input sensitivity. Maybe, a call to Klipsch tech support would be best, to see if you can get full output with the 2.0 volts maximum on the sub out of your Sony. 1-800-KLIPSCH

I am willing to be it's a bit of a placement issue with regards to where you are seated vs. the sub.

• 2 months later...

I am willing to be it's a bit of a placement issue with regards to where you are seated vs. the sub.

Greetings, My first post.

I have to agree with Michael,

I have the RT10 placed in a odd spot at the shop, being this is not a home setting.

When I enter the shop through the next door, leaving it open, the sub doesn't follow me out to the shop even though it's pounding

the sheet-rock to submission in the other room and stays trapped in the small room of the office. I can feel it somewhat.

The main speakers are out in the shop, and the sub is located back in the office with the rest of the gear.

I'm just waiting to find 2 more subs just for the shop side.

Now to figure out how to formating of post...