Decware Zen SE84C+ w/ forte' and KG4

Samac

Gentleman,

I hope all is well.

I would like to get your thoughts on pairing the Decware Zen SE84C+ with my forte's and KG4s. They will not need to play over 85db peaks. They will be used primarily for passive background listening in our family room (approx. 17'x20'x8'h). I'm looking for full rich tonality with weight to the music, especially at lower dbs (60-70db background music). For point of reference, my NAD 320BEE (50 watt ss) is doing a respectable job. But even tonality is not that good until around 75db. Even so the mids and highs are always to prominent, especially with the forte's.

If the Zen doesn't seem to be a good choice, what are your thoughts for amplification under $1K (way under would be best)?

Thanks for any thoughts. Let the fun begin.

Cheers,

Scott

Scott,

I have a Decware kit, similar to the SE84C that I've run with my KHorns. I was surprised at the bass the little amp produced, as well as the loudness. But I'm in a small 13' x 12' room, and the KHorns are more efficient than your speakers. But I was able to get pretty loud, so if you want low background music it may work pretty well for you. There is one on audioasylum used for $500 I believe, not sure if it's a good deal or not, don't know the seller... But the kit is about $350 new after shipping and tubes, and it's fun to build.

Hope this helps, Mike

Thanks for the reply, Mike. How was the tonality on the KHorns with the Zen with the volume levels I'm talking about? I actually probably wont play them above 80db. So I know with my forte' or KG4s volume wont be concern. Just don't want them to sound like all mid and high horn. Thanks, Scott.

I know what you mean with mid and hi horns being dominant as I've been dealing with that with my KHorns and another amp.

I do not believe you'll have that problem with the Decware. I would say the Decware is on the warm side and that's actually the thing I like about it. The other amp I mentioned has such great clarity in the midrange that I've been working to get it to sound as full as the Decware. If the Decware was as clean in the midrange I'd have it in with the KHorns. Low volumes sounded good as well.