Promedia Ultra 5.1 sub died tonight

Stevarian

I was playing World of Warcraft...and suddenly I heard this weird crackling noise from the subwoofer...it kind of sounded like firecrackers popping outside my house....then suddenly I had no bass. I didn't have time to shut down my computer from the time the noise started till the sub stopped working.

I thought it might be my soundblaster sound card since I had trouble with the first one I put in my computer last year, so I took the card out and hooked the Promedia up to the onboard sound, and still no sub. This is frustrating as I had the original Promedia 5.1, and they died on me, and Klipsch was good enough to replace them with the 5.1 Ultras, and they have been working fine now for several years. Until tonight obviously....

I saw some other posts here about the power supply. Could it be that? the satellite speakers are working fine so I think it must be something else.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Really, it could be anything, but it sounds like your amp might be going bad. If you open it up look for two white chips with the word BASH printed on the side. Being VERY careful, try pushing or wiggling them gently with your fingertip. Sometimes that brings the sub back. Some people do it with a powered amp to tell if they've helped, but I wouldn't recommend it.