Klipsch HD 1000 (?) Amp - Onkyo 607, Marantz SR5003, Denon AVR1610 or AVR1910?

jcsound

Hi all, I am currently deciding on my HT components. I am building it around Klipsch speakers since I am a big fan of the Klipsch sound. For a "budget" HT system would the Klipsch HD 1000 sub/speakers be the best choice? Also, which amp/receiver would be best suited to the HD 1000 (if the HD 1000 is the best choice)? Onkyo 607, Marantz SR5003 (a little expensive in comparison), Denon AVR1610 or AVR1910? According to Klipsch the HD 1000's are very efficient speakers, so 75w/channel is sufficient, so I'm leaning towards the Denon 1610 currently.

Any info appreciated, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I went out looking for the AVR 1910 big box (Best Buy) model equivalent, the AVR 790, and found the AVR 890 (equivalent to the 2310) on sale for less. Similarly I had decided on the HD 500's and then found the HD 1000s on sale for about the same price.

I have the Denon's Zone 2 (an alternate use for the two 7.1 surround amps left unused in 5.1 configuration) connected to a pair of Klipsch RF 82's, and those proved much more efficient than anything I had in place previously (1977 Altec Model 9, Bose 501, and even a pair of 1986 vintage KEF Model 107s whose woofer surrounds rotted away). I chose a 5.1 configuration because my viewing space is small and there's nowhere to put a second pair of surround speakers.

I'm using 18 gauge wire for the surround setup, as the distances are pretty short and I'm trying to keep the wiring as minimally antagonizing to the wife as possible. The RF 82s are about 50 feet away on 12 gauge run under the house.

I'm very happy with the sound from both the HD 1000 and the RF 82. Audyssey makes a big difference, and from what I've read on various review sites, it's the current state of the art in surround speaker calibration. Denon has it but I'm not sure about Onkyo or Marantz.

One note about the Denon: it's a complex piece of hardware with a manual that's nearly impenetrable at first read. But after living with it on the side table for two weeks, I finally figured out most of the features.

My impression is that the 75 watt Denon receiver would have been sufficient, especially because the HD 1000 comes with a 200W subwoofer amp that will carry everything under 110-120 Hz. (That crossover frequency was determined by the Denon's built-in Audyssey calibration capability). Wattage is only one variable in the equation. Keep in mind that Klipsch's are famously efficient, and Denon similarly has a reputation for conservative power ratings. My own observation has been that at loud volumes, the Denon runs much cooler than the 2000 vintage Sony (rated at 100Wx5) it replaced. Your mileage--er, decibels--may vary.

Note on the receiver: you probably won't find that price for Denon online--I ended up with it by asking, just for curiosity's sake, how much the 890 would cost. The salesperson came back with a price lower than the 790, saying they're pushing them out to make way for newer 3D compatible AVRs.