Modifying Klipsch: JUST DO IT...NOW!!! (pics)

4tay

If someone had told me that as little as $22 in parts can elevate my lowly sb-2 speakers cleanly into the synergy class, I'd have to say that means replacing a tweeter or it's not going to happen, maybe even snake oil. The truth is, the crossover is the weakest link, not the drivers.

SB2 crossover:

IMG_0614.jpgPosted Image

Posted Image

I replaced the cap for the sb-2's tweeter with a 6uf sonicap. The difference is the speaker opened up a bit, and smoothed out A LOT. Gone was the glare from brass or piano notes. Gone was the unease and fuzzy stridency from vocals. This mod didn't take long at all. For the same price as a couple cd's, I have elevated the lowly Sb-2 up a class.

My KG4 and forte's were modded with sonicaps, which was a great improvement, but also titanium diaphragms which was insanely great! To really get the full scope of the improvement, you have to play music like classical that incorporates violins, piano and brass. This will have significant treble energy and information. These mods unleash the potential of these speakers head and shoulders above what they could do before. Everything is smoother with a shimmer that reaches much higher with significantly more authority. The authority in this case is also easy to listen to, not forward, shouty or strident at all.

The crossover mod took some time and patience, but the diaphragm swap took all of 15 minutes for two speakers.

The stock phenolic diaphragm:

Posted Image

The nifty case for a diaphragm:

Posted Image

The mighty Titanium diaphragm (like all other parts purchsed from Bob Crites)

Posted Image

If you want to elevate heritage Klipsch to the 21st century and open up a whole new world of performance you can do it for a few bucks and a little work. The reward is well worth it! The titanium is superior to the phenolic in every way, and very obviously so.

The sb-2's changes were pleasent, the KG4/Forte II improvements were stunning.

Just do it!

• 1 month later...