Promedia 2.1 Problem - Blowing Internal Fuse, 24V DC Output

FBRB32

Hi,

I've spent a lot of time here and elsewhere trying to solve a problem with my Promedia 2.1 speakers, and I've spent hours troubleshooting. Hopefully someone here will be able to help.

The original issue was that my left channel speaker wasn't working. I eventually discovered that it is shot, but that's not the root of the problem. The left channel output isn't working. The internal fuse blows, and when it hasn't yet blown, there is 24 volts DC at the left channel output. I can't see anything on any of the boards inside that looks like it was fried. Any thoughts as to what might be causing this?

Thanks for any assistance!

• 5 months later...

Definitely an amp issue. You should NEVER have DC on the speaker leads. This is what blew the driver out of the speaker. 24 vdc caused the cone to fully extend and caused massive and continuous heat in the voice coil.

Speakers don't last long with DC going to them. Your music signal is AC. Meaning a pulsating signal at a certain freq/s. Not a constant HELLO like DC provides.

cityjim