Insulation behind 5800 and 3650 Walls

seaneys

• 8 months later...

you don't want it all mashed up behind the speaker but there is no need to carve a 'cavity' behind the speaker either, remove a bit where the woofer portion goes. The insulation in that starndard stud cavity won't hurt the sound a bit.

one thing I do recommend is GLUEING THE DRYWALL in that section to keep to keep it from vibrating/buzzing or popping nails and putting a couple blocks flat arcoss that stud cavity to stiffen it. You don't want spurious vibrations just the air please. if drywall is already up, reach in witha tube of silicone and put a beat where 2x4 meets drywall.

I used Michael's method after asking for suggestions several years ago for a pair of 5800's and the results have been outstanding. Did the caulk thing along all drywall/stud interfaces. Also stuffed insulation down as far as I could into the stud cavity below the speakers. Existing wall, no nail pops or vibrations to date.