Sounds like an upgrade to me...

LyleS

[:D][Y][:)][H][:o]

I picked up a different set of Klipsch on Monday.

I was previously running the Klipsch Home Cinema THX setup from the mid 90's.

I'm now using two Klipsch KP-301 as my main speakers, I have a Klipsch KP-250 as center front and center back, and I re-used the KT-DS thx surrounds from my old setup.

The Klipsch THX sub has been replaced with an Electrovoice TL-3512.

I'm not sure how old the set is, but they are the models with textured black finish, and no handles or corner protectors on them.

I hooked them up to my existing equipment: Parasound Halo C2 Pre-Pro, Denon POA-2800, Acurus A125x5, and Panasonic bluray.

All video is routed to either Epson home cinema 700 or 42" lcd LG tv.

I've had a couple days now to enjoy and dial them in.

I previously had a pair of Klipsch La Scala's (Don't ask, yep I regret selling them.. [:'(][:$] )

The KP-301(Commercial Chorus with ports instead of PR) are probably for music, a better overall speaker in my room. They have a smooth and effortless midrange and treble, and they just do bass better than the la scala's at normal listening levels.

The whole setup was put to the test with the new Star Trek BluRay last nite. It was amazing to have lifelike theater volume levels with an effortless display of headroom. They could have done more, but I kept the volume about -15 on my pre-amp.

The EV subwoofer is an 18 " driver in a pretty stout enclosure. It is such tight bass. My previous Klipsch KT-SW would be plenty loud, but it's passive radiator design tended to distort pretty easily when pushed low, and it was never that taunt for music.

The new sub hits hard at the higher bass frequencies, I may need to follow the manual and plug the port on the enclosure to lower it's tuned frequency from 30 hz down to 25 to explore the lowest stuff in movies.

I'm still experimenting with crossover setup, but overall I'm thrilled with the upgrade.

I loved the THX setup , but after using them for 12 years, I was ready for a change, and this one turned out to be a great one. The movement to 3way designs for the front and center channels makes for a much better bass presentation for music.

I'm now thinking of putting the front 3 speakers on risers to raise their mid horns to ear level when seated, or do most of you guys set the speaker so that the tweeter at ear level ?

The room is 24 by 40 ft with 11 ft ceilings, and I am now oriented across one end of the room. (~15 ft wide with one side open to the rest of the room, and 24 ft from front speakers to the back ones.)

If you can find a set of either of these Klipsch Pro speakers in home guise, highly recommended. (My 4 speakers and the big EV sub cost $1000.00 used)

Lyle.