Recommendations for downsizing speakers

Jack Dotson

Hello all. I've been away from the audio/HT world for awhile. I moved across country and recently bought a new home which has built in cabinets in the front of the room.. In our last home my L/C/R speakers were Cornwall III's and a KLF-C7, L/R Surrounds were in-wall's that stayed with the home and a SVS large cylinder sub. I really liked this rig, but unfortunately I don't have the space in our new home.

Front of new home has a gas fireplace in the middle with the shelves to each side that run to the ceiling. The bottom of the cabinets are enclosed with doors. The top selves are open with a divider in the middle. The openings are 20" wide, but that's with a lip so inside I have a bit more space. Shelves are adjustable so height is not an issue for the L/R speakers. A 58" plasma will mounted over the fire place and will have to install a speakers just above or below. I also have some clearance each side so two on-wall's used for the center is a possibility as well. We had the house pre-wired for 5.1 surround. L/R rear speakers will be to the sides of the listening position. Because of the open lay-out there is no way to install speakers to the rear, so I will have to go with a 5.1 set-up.

So, I will be looking to sale of my CW-III's, CLF-7 and SVS sub (if you're near Chesapeake and are interested give me a shout) and replace them smaller speakers that will work in our new home. I'm getting older and rarely listen to music these days, so my primary objective in outstanding HT performance. I would like to keep my budget under what I get from the sale of my current speakers and sub. As I said, I've been out of this for awhile so I need to find out what that amount is.

BTW, I need to figure out a way for the sub to be stealth. One of the bottom cabinets would be great, but I doubt it would work with these being enclosed with only a small gap between the doors. Anyhow, I'm open to suggestions.

Well, there it is so if any of you have some ideas/recommendations I'd really appreciate it.