K-400 Re-Paint, Harley-Davidson Style

paul32579

Those K-400s might be ugly ducklings in so many eyes, but I decided to smoke 'em if I got 'em. This La Scala rehab is all about quality, so I decided to apply my very best efforts.

Actually, I thought of polishing the innards of the K-400s with gradually finer grades of grit, then spray with clear. "Well, that won't match the tweeter, you idiot," I said to myself. What should I do? Spray the tweeters with 1939 Wizard Of Oz Tin Man Paint? That's what made Buddy Ebson allergic and got himself forever booted from eternal childhood scary memories. Plus, what about "standing waves?", whatever those are. Polishing K-400s is sure to result in those!

Eager to avoid those egregious standing waves, here I see my little 1995 Harley-Davidson FLHTP police bike, with the engine case nicely detailed in Harley Crinkle Paint. In my perfectly clear drunken stupor, I think, "Say! That's what I ought to paint the inside of these things with!" Nice finish, just the right amount of sheen, and if I ever detect standing waves, I'll call my local Baptist brother to see about an exorcism, and he'll probably refer me to his Pentecostal friend, whom I KNOW will kill that nuisance cleanly. I've loitered in the South for many years, so I ought to know.

Next, I'm going to get the house biker-babe trophy girl to sing Karoke on my system. Objective is to see if muffling the exteriors of the old K-400s is effectual. Can't have a squawker ring unnecessarily, can one? No, not if we want Miss Tattoo to warble at her very best! I'll just squeeze the K-400 throats as she sings. Can't go messing about with K-400 insulation when Miss Tatto is busy, can you? No, I can't either. I like my women just a little on the trashy side. Gosh, if I weren't so anticipatory and hopeful that she'll remove her clothes again while she sings, I could actually focus on audiophilic points of order again.

Meanwhile, in true Southern American tradition, I think I'll replace the Klipsch emblems on the La Scalas. I think everyone would rather see them read, "426 Hemi." Awesome, I know!

As for the Klipschorns, which are next on the rehab list, I'm not sure how to label them.

Oh, yes, I do!

"Ford 427 SOHC!"

My neighbors will be so impressed! Especially when they both get cranked at maximum volume after they're completely redone!

Hey, they crank NASCAR on TV. Not that I don't. But the chicks around here really dig "Freebird." But I don't play that.

I play Pink Floyd at maximum volume. Hey, those chicks' mobile home windows rattle anyways.

They're going to love my newly-refurbished Klipshes!