Counterpoint sa-2000 and Forte II

NickWG

I picked up a counterpoint sa-2000 preamp tube/ss today and and im wondering if i should use it to power my forte II's. Now, I dont have a power amp just yet, and am wondering if i should just sell this preamp for a little profit and find a better fitting amp for them. Any recommendation on powering these fortes? Also, i dont know if the preamp works. all leds light up green and the tubes glow. but thats all i know.

any insight would be helpful. I'm new to this.

thanks

The Counterpoint SA-2000 is a very nice preamp and with a few modifications, can be a great one. I'd definitely keep it around and try to match it with a decent amp. If you do want to keep it, I would suggest that you not fire it up unless its connected to an amp as you can damage the circuit and may take out a transformer if the pre doesn't have a load at output. I don't know much about the Forte but I'm sure there are members on the forum that can offer a few recommendations for amps. First question you need to answer - what is your budget?

Well, haha, I have 2 technics hpm100's, infinity crescendo cs-3007, klipsch forte II - technics 5360 - harman kardon hk 3250 - counterpoint sa-2000... all ive spent so far is $200 :) so my budget is the equipment i have listed... ive been finding some good deals, and i hope to continue until i have lascalas with mcintosh power.