Will In-Ceiling speakers work for 5.1 rear channel with RF-62s?

scottburr

I posted this first in the "technical forum - perhaps that was the wrong place as I had no responses...

I just bought a house with a large living area. I'm putting a large TV in it, and I want to put a home theater setup in.

I recently listened to so RF-62 II speakers, and I loved them, so I want to build my setup featuring them.

I figure I'll put together a 5.1 system.

My "issue' is that I *really* want to put my two rear speakers into the ceiling.

My Question: If I get the RF-62s, and the RC-62, can I get ceiling speakers "good enough" to perform with the front speakers?

I'm pretty new at this stuff, so if this is somehow an ignorant question please educate me...

Thanks very much!

-Scott

'rear' speakers are very much a misnomer. Please study some of the threads on the HT forum or google THX SPEAKER PLACEMENT.

Your first two Surround speakers are generally placed on the sides (maybe slightly behind) of the listening area. Think of it simply like this- the ear is very sensitive to the placement of sound in the front of the room (hint: the ears aim forward), but much less so for sounds coming from behind or beside you. Many times a ceiling speaker placed near a side wall boundary (with Klipsch in-ceilings you can even swivel the tweeter for more reflections), so the sound reaching your ear is diffuse and expansive- for movie effects, you just want to know that 'the sound is coming from over there somewhere', not necessarily pinpoint placement.

Look at the way Klipsch designs their WDST (RS surround) speakers , you're trying to emulate that, or the way the row of side surround speakers sounds in an actual cinema.

• 1 year later...