can a headfone tube amp be used for speakers as well?

quadklipsh

OK, now we are asking a different question. For the new question......there are black boxes that will match the impedance of an amp output so that if can be be connected to an amp input...BUT....quality ones use autofomrers.....cheap ones use a few resistors (10K across the input with a 600ohm in series with the input). This is a noisy arrangement and has no real benifet.....

by the way...on your original question....I would not attempt to connect 4/8 ohm speakers on an amp which expects to see 32ohms.

russ,

did you blow any speakers doing that practice ?

No. In fact I have never damaged any speakers. In my early years I would need to keep a lot of fuses on hand but I soon learned that you didn't need to listen at high levels and I haven't blow a fuse in the last 35 years.

P.S. I agree with whamo, if you are not blowing up headphones I don't think you can hurts your speakers (within reason), it's the mismatch to the amp that will be an issue.

and I haven't blow a fuse

wowowo

does that mean a fuse can be installed somewhere in the speaker loop. ???i d sure love to know where ?

coz i wana protect my speakers like any other . though havent blown any speakers too . i have blown a number of fuses to the powersupplies of dvd players while plugging em into the wall for 220 volts.

all vintage gear that i own have direct coupling and no protection for the speakers . theres always a thudd when i switch off my marantz or quad or luxman. and being 98db sensitive, the thudd from the RF3s can be discomforting and feary.

id like to know where can fuse be fitted in the loop outside the amplifier , for the speakers protection .[8-|]

does that mean a fuse can be installed somewhere in the speaker loop.

Generally if a speaker really needs a fuse, the designers will put one in. If you want fuses for extra protection, you can easily put an inline fuse holder on one leg of the speaker cables. I'm not sure what value would be best maybe someone else could chime in or you can make a new post and ask.