Sub question for HornEd

dblue

I saw your recommendation to Rocknon about the SVS series sub. I went and checked them out. I'm looking for a sub that will give me precision and accuracy, and I was really wowed by a Velodyne SPL-800 (8') that I heard in an audio store. I want a sub that will perform as well in music as it will in home theater, and these little sealed baddies seemed to fit the bill. I guess my question is, how does the SVS pci series stack up to the Velodyne SPL series, as far as accuracy goes? I have a Denon 2802 with the full reference 3 series. I was just about to purchase the velodyne, but you have me thinking. Thanks.

------------------

"May your mind be like water and mold to many things." -Bruce Lee

It's no secret that I am a big Klipsch fan... and that my respect has grown with the introduction of the RSW-15. But, the SVS Ultras fed by a megawatt stereo amp has given me all the speed, punch and musicality I have asked for... and then some.

Set up properly, these tubes create effortless natural bass without out a speck of muddy or a trace of boom. The partner up with my HT KLF-30's or my Music Room K-horns in transparent tribute to multi-channel music and HT the way it ought to be.

While I prefer feeding my subs from more of a pro-amp on my rack... there is much to be said for the self-powered PCi version with it's 350 watt BASH amp. I have a lot of respect for Velodyne... particularly the HGS-18... but I don't believe that little eight incher is in the same league with any of the current PCi offerings for precision, accuracy or SPL's.

Once in a while you run into something that reminds you that their is no substitute for cubic inches... and tube subs have them like nothing else in their price range.

The nice thing about SVS is that they are a young company eager to please. They have kept their overhead low and their build quality high. And they are very free with their quality info wheter you have bought their product or not. Truly great people to deal with. If you don't like their amp they will take it back and refund all of your money except the modest (for their size) shipping fee.

I spent $2,700 on SVS products before I heard I heard one. To this day, I have to confess, it was one of the best sound investments I ever made. -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd