HDMI switching AVR versus External

ed4000

I am upgrading receivers from my old Pioneer VSX 516. I am currently
switching video from 3 hdmi components to my lcd tv and projector with a
Monoprice 4 to 2 matrix switch. It is somewhat glitchy, with some
problems with handshaking and bringing up the new source. It seems this
might be a problem with receivers also from what I've read. I am
considering the Pioneer Elite VSX-33 and an Onkyo TX-SR876 or similar.
Does anyone have any experience in using these or similar receivers to
switch to 2 outputs? I can get a good receiver much cheaper with 1 hdmi
output and continue using the external switch if the receiver won't
switch any better. Also if anyone has compared the Pioneer Elite versus
the Onkyo offerings? Thanks!

I 'm also running that Monoprice 4x2 HDMI switch from a Pioneer Vsx9130 (3 in 1 out HDMI) to LCD tv and projector. I have both A and B display ports running at all times (just turn off TV or Projector individually )so it doesn't need to switch between displays. It seems to pick up the sources signal when switching alot better. The only issue I have sometimes is the PS3 syncing with projector.

I think I explained it properly. hope it helped

Steve

ajoker2c, thanks for the reply. To make sure I understand exactly how your set up: it sounds like you are doing the primary source switching in the receiver, and only using the Monoprice with 1 input from the receiver so the Monoprice just assigns the 1 source to either a or b output. Is this correct?

BINGO has been called!

WDtv, VS9000 (satalitte receiver) and HTPC connected into Pioneer via HDMI in. Then Pioneer HDMI out to Switch input 1. TV in A port Projector in B port in switch and have A&B running simultaniousl, then shut one off remotely when switching from 1 to the other with Harmony one.

I also have PS3 connected to switch HDMI input 2 (that requires to run Toslink optical to Pioneer for Audio). So I have 2 unused ports still available on switch.

Again I hope that helps. I used to get handshake issues (and still do on occasion) but it has been a lot better since I did it this way.

Edit: I noticed you said "Monoprice just assigns the 1 source to either a or b output"

actually its not "either A or B" but assigning signal to both A& B at same time

Yeah, I noticed the either A or B thing too, but I understand. Sooooooo, this leads me to believe that my problem, and possibly your PS3 problem, is caused by having the Monoprice do the switching of the sources. Soooooo, if you had the PS3 switched thru the receiver also (if you had another input) you would not have the occasional problem? Are we together on this?

I have Directv, Blu Ray and a Roku XDS box running straight into the Monoprice. My a&b outputs on the monoprice both stay on, but when i switch inputs, the projector or tv sometimes have problem syncing with the source. Sooooooo, if you have no problems with the Pioneer switching, we can blame it on the Monoprice?

"Soooooo, if you had the PS3 switched thru the receiver also (if you had
another input) you would not have the occasional problem?"

Actually I do have the switching issues with PS3 connected into my Pioneer,thats why I switched it up and put it directly into switch. I think the sync issue with that is the Pio is sending a differnt resolution signal to switch at start up of PS3 and projector (720p 60hz) cant handshake to it through switch. Removing Pio from equation and my PS3 syncs up with projector and tv flawlessly (except on very few occasions and a reboot of switch fixes that.)

"I have Directv, Blu Ray and a Roku XDS box running straight into the Monoprice"

How do you connect these 3 to Pio for audio ?

"but when i switch inputs, the projector or tv sometimes have problem syncing with the source."

That's why I have only 1 source (The pioneer for the 3 sources) into switch. When using PS3 I time delay on Harmony one so that the switch goes on first to Imput 2 (PS3) then PS3 turns on and syncs up well to both tv and projector. Your harmony 520 can do it,I used to have long ago.

Hope that helps

Well there goes that theory, I thought I might have found the problem. I was about to ask you if you had tried the ps3 through the receiver. Oh well.

My pioneer has 2 digital coax inputs, and 1 digital optical input for audio. Thats what I use for the audio for the 3 sources.

I'll play around with the Harmony delay settings, maybe I can iron it out that way. It really doesn't bother me, I can always play around with things, reset the switch or whatever and get it going. I like an electronic challenge, and tracking down and figuring out problems. But it is infuriating for the wife. Especially after all my proclamations of how great everything was going to be when I got the harmony and got it all set up [6] She can never get what she wants going, and the madder she gets, the more she randomly pushes buttons [8o|], which of course just makes it all worse.

I was hoping that switching thru a new receiver would solve all that, I'm getting one anyway for the upgrade to HD audio formats, but can't decide whether or not to spend the extra bucks on 2 hdmi outputs and throw out the switch. Sounds like the switching thru the pioneer works well for you (except for the ps3) so I could do the same thing with a 1 output receiver, and have my empty inputs on the switch for any troublesome components or for the son-in-law to plug his xbox in they visit.