Cap and Spike Questions

I bought a pair of Chorus IIs last week and, after dealing with some placement issues, am enjoying listening to them. They need a little work, so I figured I would start with the stuff that will affect how they sound, and have a couple of questions I was hoping y'all could help me with.

First of all, the little risers attached to the bottom of the speakers are in pretty bad shape. The fellow I bought them from said their basement had flooded a while back, and they were caught in the crossfire. I figured I would just remove them and put spikes in their place, as spikes or stands have noticably tightened the bass with all the other speakers I have owned, and these are a little big for stands. Google, however, turns up a lot of old threads here about spiking the reference series, but really none about spiking the older speakers. Is there an issue that prevents spiking them, or are people just happy with the way they are?

Second, I plan on replacing the caps and resistor in the crossover; however, a 6.0uF cap is not available, so it will have to be either a 5.8uF or a 6.2uF. I know very little about crossover design, and the presence of the transformer is making it difficult for me to follow one of the online guides. I don't figure it will make that much of a difference, as the pictures of the stock caps I have seen make them out to be cheap electrolytics with tolerances large enough for either value to be in spec, but I would still appreciate it if someone could let me know what the effect of going in either direction would be?

Back in the day, spikes weren't used and the Heritage line doesn't have the inserts for them but feel free to give it a shot and report your findings. You might also try brass footers but be careful - heavy speaks on spikes can do some serious damage to the floor.

Regarding the caps, Parts-express.com has 6uf Auricaps and you're in luck - they're on sale!

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=027-688