Making custom cables 1/4" TRS and RCA ( combos )

DANGERDAN

This is starting to go a bit off topic, but I thought I would add to it. If anyone is looking for a good sound card to drive headphones directly from a PC, seriously look into the Asus Xonar Essence STX. It has a proper 1/4" headphone jack on the back panel and an onboard headphone amplifer that is powered by a dedicated power cable from the power supply, not the bus. You can even set the output impedence to match different headphones. I use one to drive my Sennheiser HD 555's and it sounds very good. It may not rival $1000+ dedicated audiophile outboard headphone amps but it will give the less expensive ones a good run for the money. You can even change the onboard op-amps to tailor the sound, although the stock ones are pretty good.

Yea its sorta gone off topic because all my questions were sorta answered with the custom extension cable, i understand how it all works now and what i need to do.

I am familiar with the STX it is quite a nice peice of equipment for a computer though as you have said it still cant compare to a external dedicated amplifier.