C-20 timbre compared with F-30s

Dan2

I just purchased a C-20 to match my F-30s. My receiver doesn't have test tones, so I used the THX optimizer found on my Star Wars DVD. When using the THX pink noise test, the center doesn't sound as bright as the F-30s. (I.e. The higher frequencies sound more pronounced in the F-30s. The C-20 sounds duller.) This isn't what I expected, since the C-20 is supposed to be matched to the F-30s.

Has anyone else run this test on this setup? I'm wondering if my C-20 is defective.

Welcome to the forum!

I noticed the crossover frequency of the center you are using is 450Hz higher than the L/R speakers. The tweets are the same, although, I doubt the center is at ear level like the sides. Perhaps the timbre is a match, but just that Klipsch intends better voice reproduction out of the center, and better full range from the sides. If you had a 1700 Hz crossover on the center, would it sound just as bright? Right now, the 6.5" woofers in the center are producing the frequencies between 1700 and 2150 Hz.

I am not sure what the THX standard is on speaker timbre, but I suspect there is a difference between the center and the other speakers.

You do raise an interesting point for discussion, though.