lf-10 hookup

dmgwalsh

& is it for listening to 2 channel only, 5.1 w/ lfe or both?

i think the 3802 only has one preout for both low bass and LFE. most hook this up w/ rca jacks interconnect to both (using a splitter) the L&R line level inputs of sub.

also if for LFE material playback, i wouldn't use the crossover on the sub itself. when hooked like above & choosing sub:yes, the 3802 sends ALL lfe ONLY to the sub preout, so if u use that low pass crossover it can cut LFE. dial it up to 120hz or highest it will go imo.

oh & forgot the lf-10 also has an lfe (nonfiltered) input in addition to the L&R line inputs. in theory you should only have to hook this up to the sub preout of the 3802 because it already does the filtering for u. but some sub's like the klipsch ksw reportedly have higher output w/ both L&R line inputs hooked up, which really renders the lfe input useless. don't know if it's the case w/ the lf-10.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-04-2002 at 01:49 PM

quote:

Originally posted by soundog:

Do you have it plugged into the LFE or sub out on your receiver? I don't see a LFE out on my reciever. It's plugged into "sub woofer out"

What are you bass management settings?Do you mean the settings on the receiver as to when the sub takes over?

I had it at the lowest setting and am playing around with a higher setting. was at 80Hz, then at 120Hz, now at 100Hz. crossover frequencY? How do these settings affect the sound?

What other speakers are involved? I just have some old small jbl 2500s and 2600s and a Bic Venturi dv53 CLR center. Going to upgrade the fronts and centers and maybe move the jbls back to surround and surround rear for now. Any suggestions? Thanks

Originally posted by boa12:

& is it for listening to 2 channel only, 5.1 w/ lfe or both? Some 2 channel, some dvd audio 5.1, dts-es movies, dolby pro logic movies. Don't know what exactly 5.1 w/ lfe means.

i think the 3802 only has one preout for both low bass and LFE. I think you are right.It just says subwoofer out.

most hook this up w/ rca jacks interconnect to both (using a splitter) the L&R line level inputs of sub. That's what I did-connected it with a splitter to line in L and R. But then I saw all the other connections and dials in the back and didn't know if there was a better way to connect.

also if for LFE material playback, i wouldn't use the crossover on the sub itself. when hooked like above & choosing sub:yes, the 3802 sends ALL lfe ONLY to the sub preout, so if u use that low pass crossover it can cut LFE. dial it up to 120hz or highest it will go imo.

Let me see if I understand it. Are you saying that the amp is sending all of the low frequency sound directly to the sub only? Is the crossover the frequency which is sent to the sub as opposed to being split and lows to the sub and rest to the mains? The crossover can be set either on the setup of the amp or at the sub, itself, e.g. send all 120Hz and down to the sub and then either keep it all in the sub or send some of it out to the mains using sub crossover. I s that what the speaker in and speaker out ports are for on the back of the sub?

If I want to send most of the lows to the sub, what's the best way to do it? I have options on the receiver crossover of 80Hz, 100Hz and 120 HZ, I think. Then, what settings on the back of the sub? LoPass Hz dial 40-120 Hz.

What is the correct phase switch setting, 0 or 180 and what does it do?

What is the correct line out hipass switch setting, 50Hz or 100Hz and what does it do?

What is the correct a/v switch setting, 3Db or up and what does it do?

What is the correct LFE Gain dial setting, and what does it do?

oh & forgot the lf-10 also has an lfe (nonfiltered) input in addition to the L&R line inputs. in theory you should only have to hook this up to the sub preout of the 3802 because it already does the filtering for u. but some sub's like the klipsch ksw reportedly have higher output w/ both L&R line inputs hooked up, which really renders the lfe input useless. don't know if it's the case w/ the lf-10.

OK, I see the lfe in next to where I have it connected, and I guess I'll just keep this hooked up eith the splitter.

I know these are a lot of questions, but I'm pretty new at this and just want to understand how to get the best sound? Thanks.

dmg, review your denon manual for how it handles bass mgmt. where you set the 3802 crossover determines where it BEGINS to cut off the sub from it's sub preout (it's low pass filter). so if you set it at 100hz it lets the sub go unfiltered to 100hz then BEGINS to filter off the sub from there ON UP at a fixed slope rate.

the 3802 crossover setting also is a high pass filter.

so any speakers you set SMALL BEGIN getting filtered off from say that 100HZ ON DOWN at the fixed slope rate. iow, the sub, and speakers set small, are filtered at the same point of the 3802 crossover setting but in opposite directions on the frequency scale.

if you set any speaker LARGE it doesn't get filtered at

all. runs full-range up to the capability of the speaker itself.

there is also a setting for bass control that sends low bass if the front speakers are set LARGE ALSO to the subwoofer (MAINS+LFE). Or the LFE ONLY setting has the sub only getting LFE. NOT ALSO getting low bass from any other speaker/channels. in your case i'd probably put this on MAINS+LFE.

LFE is a seperate channel. the .1 in 5.1. so 5.1 is really six channels. 5 + the .1. if you have adobe reader you can read that file i attached above by clicking on it. It's a great basic explanation of the dif between low bass and LFE.

but your 3802 when you set sub:yes sends ALL LFE ONLY to the subwoofer (lf-10). so if you don't turn it's crossover (the lf-10's cross control) all the way up to like 120hz you could be cutting some of that LFE.

the lf-10's phase switch sometimes makes no audible dif. best thing is play some real bassy music & have someone else switch it back/forth for u while u listen from the sweet spot. u'd probably want it set where the bass quality together w/ your other speaks sounds the best to you. where the bass has more edge or impact (or where it's less muddy). or some may prefer it set to where there's just more overall bass quantity. if you really can't hear a dif either at 0 or 180, just leave it on 0.

nobody can really tell u for sure which crossover or Large vs Small settings to use as all tastes, rooms, set-ups are different. basically smaller type speaks like sat or small center &/or surround speaks should be set to small. for bigger speaks even though they're large, many still set them to small & let an adequate Subwoofer handle all the low bass and LFE.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-05-2002 at 02:58 PM