Could I have a defective microphone?

SteveBachman

I am getting very strange Audyssey readings. Front, center, and rear speakers are Klipsch RF-82II, RC-62II, and RS-52II respectively. My subwoofer is a HSU VTF 3MK3. My receiver is a Denon AVR 3312CI. My rear surround speakers are on the left and right side of my couch. My center speaker sits on a plate that hooks over the top of the TV. The floor speakers are to the left and right of the TV. My subwoofer volume is set to 9:00 o'clock, crossover is out, using LFE cable, bass extension is 1 port open, phase set to 0. Microphone is taped to a tripod.

I cannot get my center or surround speaker channel readings to go above -12dB no matter where I set the microphone / tripod on my couch, which is about 9 feet from the TV against the back wall of the living room. Subwoofer readings ranges from -7dB to -9.5 dB and my front left and right speaker readings are around -9.5 to -10.5 dB. There is a piece of felt on top of the microphone. I assume it is suppose to be there. Should it be there? Could the microphone be defective? I have seen questions where the sub has a very low dB reading and the volume on the sub needs to be turned down to get a good reading, but I could not find any post where the other speaker readings were too low and the sub reading was okay. Please help. I have spent way too much time on this already

I used a tripod. Set it in on the couch where I normally sit. Tripod was 24" from wall. This does not explain why the center speaker is also at -12dB.

Is the center speaker set as a full range and the others as small or with a high pass filter like 80Hz? Also, the microphone should be pointing absolutely straight up at the ceiling.