SW-308...Green power light stays on, very little output problem

audiokingman

Just purchased a Klipsch SW-308. The power off/auto/on switch gives you those options, but when I put it in Auto, the green light comes on but never goes off. According to some specs I've read, it is supposed to either turn red after 20 minutes (standby mode) or turn off.

It just constantly lights up green, even hours after I turn my system off.

Also, I have the left/LFE in the back of the sub connected to my receivers subwoofer output jack. I have subs crossover set at about 80Hz, and have the gain control set about 75% of the way to maximum. I tried a few movies, but I get very little output from the sub.

I have my receiver set for large speakers in the front, small speakers for surrounds. I have the receiver crossover set at 80Hz.

Any ideas what the problem/solution is?

Just purchased a Klipsch SW-308. The power off/auto/on switch gives you those options, but when I put it in Auto, the green light comes on but never goes off. According to some specs I've read, it is supposed to either turn red after 20 minutes (standby mode) or turn off.

It just constantly lights up green, even hours after I turn my system off.

Sorry, I can't really address this. Did you calibrate your setup properly?

I have subs crossover set at about 80Hz.......................

Why? You should either turn it all the way up or bypass it completely if there is a bypass setting and/or bypass input available on the sub. Your AVR is providing the crossover filtering function. You don't want the sub doing that, too. With both your sub's low-pass filter (it's not really a crossover) and the AVR's crossover set at 80Hz, you will get unwanted interaction between the two low-pass filters.

I have my receiver set for large speakers in the front...............

With your front speakers set to LARGE you will get less output from the subwoofer and none when listening to 2-channel sources in 2-channel mode. 2-channel sources have no LFE channel content so the sub will be inactive with 2-channl sources. Try setting your front speakers to SMALL.

What speakers are you using? What AVR?

How would calibrating my setup properly have any effect on the subwoofers power light staying on (the auto off feature) even when I power my receiver off?

There is no bypass setting on the subwoofer. It has a crossover knob that varies between 40Hz to 150Hz. Are you saying I should turn it up all the way to 150Hz? If so, when I just listen to music in stereo mode, would it still be crossed over at 80Hz by my receiver?

I will set my front speakers to small, even though they are not small. They are floorstanding Advent Heritage speakers with (2) 8" woofers per speaker.

I am using a small JVC DVD/Receiver combo. Model RX-DV31. Rated at around 100 watts per channel.

How would calibrating my setup properly have any effect on the subwoofers power light staying on (the auto off feature) even when I power my receiver off?

Yeah, I don't know. I was just fishing for a reason why the sub might be on all the time.

There is no bypass setting on the subwoofer. It has a crossover knob that varies between 40Hz to 150Hz. Are you saying I should turn it up all the way to 150Hz? If so, when I just listen to music in stereo mode, would it still be crossed over at 80Hz by my receiver?

Yes, if there is no way to bypass the sub's low-pass filter, set it as high as possible. If your front speakers are set to LARGE, then the AVR's 80Hz crossover setting will not be applied in stereo mode. If you set the speakers to SMALL, though, the 80Hz crossover setting in the AVR should be applied to 2-channel sources. Be aware that some AVRs will bypass the bass management when used in their 'pure direct' or 'direct' stereo modes.

I will set my front speakers to small, even though they are not small. They are floorstanding Advent Heritage speakers with (2) 8" woofers per speaker.

As tempting as it may be to set them to LARGE, they really shouldn't be set to LARGE. There are benefts to be gained at both your amplifiers and at the speakers if the burden of amplifying and reproducing the lowest frequencies are removed. And those frequencies will, likewise, be sent to the sub which is specifically designed to reproduce those particular frequencies.

I am using a small JVC DVD/Receiver combo. Model RX-DV31.

So, I assume it will not allow different crossover settings for different channels. No worries. Your speakers' woofers will still be sent plenty of info even with an 80Hz crossover setting.