Guitar tube head hum problem

mustang guy

I bought my son a Bogner Alchemist Head to drive the BMF 2X10 I built him. The other day I turned it on, and noticed a hum even when no guitar is connected. I understand this is a China built budget tube head, but as this head is only 6 months old, I didn't expect noise like this. Could it be cheap tubes? I haven't looked at the brand in it, but I know it uses 2-6L6's, and 5-12AX7's.

Any ideas of why this thing hums?

most guitar amps use ac heaters....ac heaters has a higher incidence of backgound noise. you could have the tubes tested to make sure they are matched. if the tubes are a matched set, and the back gorund noise is still a concern, you could convert the unit to DC heaters.

Take the tubes out and put them back in again. Try not to get them dirty (i.e. use a rag or wear latex gloves). Wiggle them a little bit in the sockets. Plug into a different outlet. Use a ground lift adapter on the plug. Check flourescent lights in the area.

Edit: Saw you already eliminated cable issues.

You got it used? Tubes could be just wore out. Fresh tubes do make a difference.