AH-HA! PROBLEMS SOLVED!!! Replacing the main transformer on the ProMedia 2.1 and getting the right channel back

cbradshw

I HAVE SINCE FIXED THE THE RIGHT CHANNEL PROBLEM.

Turns out to have been a corroded copper tracing on the circuit board before the signal goes to the amp card.

See more details at my website: http://christopherbradshaw.net/The_Project_Bin/klipsch%20promedia%20subwoofer%20repair%20-%20page%201.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,

I too experienced a problem one day when our 2.1 ProMedia system wouldn't turn on. No thump, no green light, no internal relay click, nothing. After careful research and looking at schematics I determined that the main transformer (Transtec) had blown it's internal thermal fuse.

I was happy to find this transfomer still available online and ordered one. Put it in last night and horah! The thump, green light and relay click were back!

EXCEPT! The right channel is gone. I switched the wire and speaker over to the left side to rule out faulty satellite gear and they are fine. Interesting issue is that when I umplug one of the wire leads from the back of the sub and then poke around with it in the hole I can hear faint crackling from the speaker. This tells me that they is voltage in the line just no signal.

So I now have read a lot about people's issues about the internal fuses, the DIN plug, and the control module. I am going to verify that the DIN plug all the way to the interface plug on the control module is o.k. I know that people like Mister Clean will service the DIN plug but before I do that does anyone have further thoughts about the possibilities of the lost right channel?

OH! I've made this repair into one of my webpages and I you're interesting in viewing it it's at:

http://christopherbradshaw.net/The_Project_Bin/projects.html

Cheers to you all,

Christopher

• 2 weeks later...

I HAVE SINCE FIXED THE THE RIGHT CHANNEL PROBLEM.

Turns out to have been a corroded copper tracing on the circuit board before the signal goes to the amp card.

See more details at my website: http://christopherbradshaw.net/The_Project_Bin/klipsch%20promedia%20subwoofer%20repair%20-%20page%201.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello again,

I purchased a new control pod but that didn't fix a thing so I know that the pod is most likely fine. What I did find is that I have a conflicting set of resistance readings from the two channels. Here are some resistance readings I took:

Sub speaker terminals with no wires connected: 5.7 ohms

Satellite speakers with the wires attached, tested at the ends of the wires: Left: 5.9 ohms, Right: 6.2 ohms

I also decided to compare the output terminals for both channels on the back of the amp box as I have a failing right channel.

The odd thing is that when I select different ohm ranges on the multimeter I get a different resistance reading. Also the readings tend to climb upward at a certain rate (like it's walking up(capacitor?)) and then rest at a value. Here are the channels and ohmic ranges:

LEFT CHANNEL: Ohm Range 0 - 2,000 => (too high for this setting)

Ohm Range 0 - 20,000 => 8,5000 ohms

Ohm Range 0 - 200,000 => 55,000 ohms

Ohm Range 0 - 2,000,000 => 385,000 ohms

RIGHT CHANNEL: Ohm Range 0 - 2,000 => (too high for this setting)

Ohm Range 0 - 20,000 => (too high for this setting)

Ohm Range 0 - 200,000 => (too high for this setting)

Ohm Range 0 - 2,000,000 => Starts at a high realing like 1,600,000 and then climbs out of this top range. There is a issue here.

Any ideas where i can start looking? I do have schematics on hand for the circuitry.

Christopher