Promedia 5.2 PC Speakers are buzzing!

Flowbikeman

Hi there. I have had my promedia speakers for about 10 years now, sounding as amazing as when i bought them, until recently. A few months ago I noticed my speakers started buzzing and crackling. The buzzing happens independent of volume, whether or not the computer is outputting sound. THe buzzing is equal in all speakers. It is a pretty high pitched buzzing and crackling, sometimes sounds fuzzy. It can happen for 10 minutes, go silent for another 10 then come back for the rest of the night sometimes. TERRIBLY IRRITATING it makes me want to take a drill to my ear-drums after a while :P . After some troubleshooting I was able to rule out my computers sound card as other speakers sound find. It is not the speakers themselves either, as using the headphone jack to listen produces the buzzing fuzzy sound too. I believe it is somewhere either in the subwoofer where the amp is, or in the volume control box. When I unplug the volume control box, the buzzing ceases, music can conitnue to play for about 3 seconds before the speaker system shuts itself off. I inspected all the speaker cables and re-cut the tips to make sure it looked clean, but the buzzing remains! Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm out of ideas about what I can do. I'm afraid my system is shot since the sub for this PC system is not easy, maybe impossible to replace. Maybe It can be repaired?

It's tough to say for sure what is causing it. Have you tried plugging headphones into the control pod to see

if it still buzzes? Two things I have seen cause this. One is the control pod and the other is some components that go bad.

I had a muffled sound on mine that was fixed by replacing 3 capacitors on the ac dc board. 3 caps to the left

of the big transformer. The transformer gets very hot and unfortunately the components can't take the heat for long

and they end up burning up. I replaced over 30 components on my board with brand new ones because they were either toasted or looked somewhat orange or brown. First try the headphones then open up the subwoofer and check the board for anything burnt.

You can see my previous posts if you click on my name. I pasted a huge explanation I had gathered over the years from the forums here.

• 2 years later...