Newbie has speaker placement question

MrMike

Ok, I have recently ordered the RC7 and two of the RB5's for my fronts(At this point floorstanders are not an option, but will eventually move the RB5' to the rear and replace with RF7's) the rest of my speakers are crap at this point but will eventually upgrade. I have also ordered the Denon 3802.

Here is my dilema: The center channel will fit on shelf in the entertainment center directly above the tv, putting it at a height of about 62". From what I have researched they suggest that you should have your front speakers at the same height as the center channel. HOWEVER, I have also read that you should have the fronts at the ear height of the intended seated listener, which would be about 46". I am most likely going to use wall mounts for the RB5's to maximize the distance between the two, but that means that I had better get the height right the first time when start drilling into the wall(That's right you guessed it I am married!).

So what is the more important factor, having front speakers at the same level or have right and left front speaker at ear level with the center being about 16" higher. Keep in mind this is my first HT setup but I am quickly becoming addicted and want to set this up right. (I have even bought a sound meter and the avia disc)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. also from what I have seen the RB5 and the RC7 appear to be timbre matched or close to it. Does anyone know this for sure? Thanks in advance for the help!

mr-m, welcome on board! i'd look more to get the horns

on the mains pretty much at your ear level or slightly higher. you can always angle down the rc so basically the throat of its horn is aimed right at your seated sweet spot.

then you can adjust the speaker distance/delay settings on the 3802 to taste.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

ditto boa-head level for l,r front w/center angled slightly downward.EDIT: also try to put the l,r front as far apart from each other as you sit from them-ex: 12' back/12' apart.

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen