Kp-115 and different types of 115

Jason

I have an KP-115-B that is not working. I'm trying to understand the capabilities of the speaker to see how I need to trouble shoot.

I'm confused on the type of the speaker. What does the last letter stand for? It seems like most people refer to their speakers as a 115-S or 115-SW. Is there any difference?

My speaker has a solid wood box enclosure with no vents on the back. It is also a non-powered speaker.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

The capabilities of that sub are here: http://www.klipsch.com/kp-115/details#description

I don't know what the 'B' designation is for. This speaker is pretty simple to troubleshoot really. If you are getting no sound from the speaker, remove the driver, and connect your speaker leads to it. If you still don't have sound, you have a dead driver. Call Klipsch and see how much for a replacement. If they don't have one, you will have to look for one. You can post a message in Garage sale here, etc. The driver is a K-48-K.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply! I am new to all this so I appreciate the information! I did look at the specs previously, but thanks for including the link. There's not much information available online with this speaker so for anyone else who is curious (and maybe not all that knowledgeable about subs) here is what I have found out:

Some speakers may be referred to as KP-115, KP-115-S or maybe even KP-115-SW. These were built between 2000-2004. If it's a KP-115 it is a sub type speaker. I believe all speakers built between 2000-2004 are passive. These speakers (as the klipsch website shows) have handles on the sides and a pole mount. I have a Kp-115-B which does not have handles or a pole mount. I think that the B refers to the type of box finish.

Newer 115 subs built in 2011 or later are called: SW-115. I was really confused when I tried to find information about the KP-115 and kept hearing people refer to the 115sw. Regardless, the SW-115 is an active speaker quite different from the KP-115.

I hope this helps anyone looking for information on the older KP-115!

B is usually the bare bones cabinet - ie no pebble paint finish, no rubber edges, no corners or handles. Is this correct? The ones with networks sometimes burnt out due to high power inputs. You can tell these types if they have a jack marked INPUT and OUTPUT. The Output jack has a passive filter meant to protect the KP250 (mating top cabinet) at 150Hz. I'd remove the jack cup, see if there is a network in there, consider bypassing or replacing it. Generally 'C' designation had a crossover in it.