who is using a 'matrixed' center rear(s)

avman

my upgrade to my 777ES receiver has incorporated the capability of decoding and simulating a center rear speaker in my ht setup. called 'virtual matrix 6.1' it decodes the center rear info and 'simulates' a center rear (quite convincingly,although i haven't a/b'd it w/an actual center rear.) i've also been told that it will do same for 5.1 when rear content dictates.(must test on different 5.1 titles).

???'s:

1.do you prefer matrixing a center rear w/5.1 material

2.have you tried 5.1 vs.6.1 decoding on 6.1 encoded material

3.i find music(concerts)sound better w/5.1 vs.6.1 or7.1

4. i CAN add an ACTUAL center rear if i wish(using an old ES pro-log receiver's center ch.out, w/left and right surr.line out into l,r line in on pro-log rcvr).since my room is 12' wide and 23'deep, how much difference will it make?

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

av, don't use a simulated, but do use the actual rear center - C7. don't have dts es 6.1 discrete yet in the pre/pro, so everything is matrixed in the rear center from stereo to prologic to dolby ex or dts es.

i think you'll find the same as w/ a front center. if you're not right on axis w/ it, won't have as nice an effect as an actual speak there.

i highly recommend one. but do you get a c7 or a ksp C6? hmmm...

------------------

My Home Systems Page

yea mostly. either the material is already matrixed like dolby ex & dts es matrix, or the processor does the center matrixing. same as the front center - everything is matrixed to it except for material that has a front center channel like 3.0/3.1-5.0/5.1. rarely, i'll go & play 2-channel stuff w/ just the mains & sub.

same thing w/ the rear center. unless its dts es 6.1 discrete, the rear center is always matrixed one way or the other.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

i listened to 'seven bridges road' on a 7.1 rig and the rear 'spread' sounded really bad (jmo) vs. the 5.1 playback. what is your take on music specifically in 6.1(i know-you play everything in 6.1, but i'm digging)cwm25.gif

avman.

------------------

(looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

This message has been edited by avman on 07-12-2002 at 12:31 PM

hey steve!!glad to see you stepped off of 'mondail mountain'to come visit us! Wink.gif c'mon guys! if it weren't for dvd concerts-i'd probably NEVER listen to music in surround...i listen to 97% of 2-ch in a.f.d.

try eagles hfo 7 bridges road and let me know. avman.

------------------

This message has been edited by avman on 07-12-2002 at 02:01 PM

I guess I should add that I like DVD concerts, if they are mixed right in 6.1. For 2 channel music I go with just 2 channel, Direct.

I like the"being there" you get with 6.1, but only with a live performance.

avman, before I got my 3801, I used a Denon 2800 and fed my older Denon AVR 2000 prologic from the rear outs.Set the pro to 3 channel logic and it did a very good job at matrixed 6.1.

thanks again for the replys-going to fla. to do an install-being put up in a bed-n-breakfast-1blk.from the gulf...jobs like this saturday help make up for the rat sh**-filled attics-rollin'in fiberglas-in-the-summer-heat-jobs! must..find..time..to..tweak!!

avman.cwm32.gif