Netflix Audio

zingo

I'm having audio trouble when I use Netflix streaming with the SPDIF output. Last night I switched from a Blu-ray (my regular viewing choice) to Netflix and had no audio. I ran the analog outputs from the BDP and the sound was normal, and I put on a DVD which has normal sound through the SPDIF or analog outputs; same with a redbook audio CD. I even got a cheap receiver out of the garage and plugged that it, and it had the same outcome.

What audio format does Netflix stream it's movies, if my receiver will only decode discs for movies? I look at my Netflix account today, but couldn't find anything about audio codex or options there in. Does it make a difference that I'm only watching movies in 2.1?

Thank you for any help you can provide, as the receiver does a much better job decoding the DVD/Blu-rays than the BDP, so I assumed the same for streaming movies.

The system in question:

B&K AVR202 receiver

Jamo D7LCR left/right speakers

Elemental Designs A3-300 subwoofer

Sony BDP

Well I figured out something last night; my BDP was default set to down-mix Dolby to PCM. Once I fixed that, my AVR202 could see the Dolby over SPDIF, and down-mix it to stereo internally.

Thanks for the help and it sounds great!