Amplifier matching for RB-61

Montana93

Hi there, 

A little bit of background about my situation first. I am a college student attending school 3 hours from home. I have a set of rb-61's and a set of RF-82 II's at home with a Yamaha RX-497 receiver and a Mirage Prestige S10 subwoofer. I am currently running the 82's to zone 1 and the 61's to zone 2. The plan is to eventually get a center channel speaker and 5.1 channel receiver and have a nice surround sound and music set up. For the time being, however, I don't have much in the way of audio at my apartment at school. I am trying to build a small set up that I can enjoy while at school.

The primary use of the system will be tv audio followed by music listening and movie watching. I live in an apartment complex with upstairs neighbors so this system can't be very loud at all. I just want something that will work fine with the tv and give me a system to listen to music at low levels and decompress from the stresses of school. I want to use my 61's along with a cheap, low wattage amp to complete this goal. The room they will be in has a couch about 12 feet from the tv. The speakers will sit on either side of the tv, approximately 6 feet away from one another. The room is connected to the kitchen and a hallway to form a rather open layout. The floors are fake hardwood and there is not much else for sound absorption other than the couches. I have been looking at a Dayton Audio DTA-1 amp with a TCC source selector as the amp only has a headphone jack input.

The thing that I am wondering about is if the amp will do the job and meet my needs. The amp is spec'd at 10 wpc at 0.1% THD through 4 ohms. I assume this means I would get around 5 wpc through 8 ohms. If we assume a bit of embellishment on the specification I think I should be able to get around 2-3 watts through my speakers with good sound quality. If this is the case, then I should be making approximately 98 dB at one meter assuming a 3 dB gain for each doubling of power based on the 95 dB efficiency spec of the speakers. Then if I assume a 6 dB loss per doubling of distance, I should be right around 86 dB at the couch.

Are these assumptions and rough calculations somewhat accurate and would this set up achieve my goal of good tv audio, good music listening at low volume levels and decent movie performance at low volume levels? I am not counting on getting much bass response here but that's sort of the point with the whole neighbor situation. Any thoughts about this and any experience with this amp and similar efficiency speakers would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Edited by Montana93

Look into this bluetooth amp. I used this in bedroom then in my office now.  The bluetooth connection has surprisingly quality sound. I use this with the same rb61's. It's great when friends or coworkers want to hear their music as they just connect their own bluetooth source, usually iPhones. Has a range of about 20 ft. 

http://www.amazon.com/Aune-amplifier-TPA3121-Amplifier-bluetooth/dp/B00CG060GK