Can you make a 6.1 system a 7.1 system?

Johnboy

Need a little help here. I have a Yamaha RX-v630 which is a 6.1 reciever. What do I need to do to run seven speakers (7.1) on this set up? I have seen where others are doing this so I was wondering what I needed to do to make this work. I have two extra speakers sitting at the house and I would love to add them in as side surrounds.

------------------

Klipsch RF-3II

Klipsch RC-3II

Jamo in wall surrounds

Paradigm PW-2200 sub

Sony Playstation II

Yamaha RX-V630

Rotel RMB-1066

Yamaha DVD carosel

RCA Hi-Fi VCR (hardly used anymore)

Sony Trinitron 36"

jb, as long as you have a preout on the yammy for that 6th channel, all you should need is a good, matching mono amp (monoblock) w/ an interconnect to the yammy & the 7th speaker (or 8th really including the sub) wired to it w/ speaker cable - make sure you get an amp w/ 2 speaker terminals & not only an rca output.

you mught even be able to wire the 7th speak to the yammy terminals in parallel, but that might put too much load, strain on the amp. i'd get another amp for it.

actually, i'd get a seperate 2 channel amp & use that for both rear surround. don't know, but if the yammy lets you designate the seperate amp for the main speaks, you could get a nice stereo amp for those & use the yammy amp for the 2 rear surrounds.

maybe you could do that w/ a stereo amp or 3 channel amp for mains & front center, & then wire 2 speaks off the rear surround terminal without having to then worry about 2much load on the yammy amp.

well, the above should be a start anyway. Biggrin.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 08-23-2002 at 03:42 PM

Boa, I have all the preamp conections to do that. I have the center and mains running on the Rotel amp (bridged) right now and only the rears and rear center on the Yamie for my 6.1 system. The Rotel is a six chanel amp so if I ran my 2 mains, center, 2 surrounds and one rear center off of it I could run the other rear center off the yamie's rear center amp. Would this work for now or am I asking for trouble? And actually on monday that will be a 9 speaker setup if this works! Dual SVS's on the truck heading my way as we type! Can't wait! Thanks for the help Boa.

------------------

Klipsch RF-3II

Klipsch RC-3II

Jamo in wall surrounds

Paradigm PW-2200 sub

Sony Playstation II

Yamaha RX-V630

Rotel RMB-1066

Yamaha DVD carosel

Sony Trinitron 36"

jb, that would be fine. even less load on the yammy using the rotel that way. my concern was not having the same amp for the 2 rear surrounds for amp characteristics matching.

but especially since its the rear surround channels doubt you could hear any audible dif in the rear surrounds using the rotel for one & yammy for the other. just set the speaker levels from the yammy preamp accordingly.

& congrats on the svs! are u going to use the paradigm for a rear sub?

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Boa, Not familiar with running a rear sub. What would be it's purpose and how would that be set up? Also, with the layout of my room the SVS's will be behind the couch already and there won't be room to spare for the PW-2200 back there. You got my interest though so tell me more. As far as the matching caracteristics I think it will be ok for now. I eventually want a five chanel amp to run the mains, center and surrounds so I can bridge this one to run the rear centers. Eventually I will step up to a true pre/pro as well but the yammie is doing fine so far. All it takes is time, and money you know!

------------------

Klipsch RF-3II

Klipsch RC-3II

Jamo in wall surrounds

Paradigm PW-2200 sub

Sony Playstation II

Yamaha RX-V630

Rotel RMB-1066

Yamaha DVD carosel

Sony Trinitron 36"

yea that rotel 1066 pre/pro looks pretty nice.

for a rear sub you just run the surround terminals to the sub speaker in terminals & connect the surround speakers to the sub's speaker outs. well, if you have smaller surrounds anyway.

then set the surrounds as large in the yammy & adjust the paradigm to taste.

assuming the para has speaker in/out terminals. if it has only speaker in terminals you can wire in parallel off the yam surround terminals along w/ the surround speakers. i'd also do it like this w/ bigger surrounds

that can produce bass flat/well down below 50hz or lower.

------------------

My Home Systems Page