Other Than An Intermittent Preamp Plug, These Work Great. :-D

JayProgrammer

Hello. I read some of the issues in this board before I bought a set of Refurbished Promedia 4.1s at the Ugly Hi Fi Blowout. Well, they just arrived today, and they work great. :-) I've heard about the problems with amps getting too hot. Well, you DO have a 400 Watt amp inside a subwoofer case, so that's to be expected (I know some people with weak truck systems that run from 400-700 Watts). The air the port pushes is probably the only air that this thing gets. :-)

They sound great though. My roommate and I had a speaker war once I set them up and he completely blew a 4-way floor tower(10" woofer, two midranges, tweeter) trying to keep up with my Klipsch system. :-D To counteract any amp heat, I put an oscillating fan under my desk to blow on the amp and the amp plate is actually COLD while powered on. :-D

The only problem I'm having is occasionally if I'm not careful, the volume level in the right front speaker takes a dive if it doesn't cut off completely. I found the source to be the preamp DIN (the multi-pronged cable that looks like a MIDI DIN plug) connection on the sub. It seems to be intermittent on that channel (may kick out if the cord is accidentally jiggled or something). Is this a known issue with these systems?

Otherwise, my roommate and I can link our systems together when he gets his speaker tower replaced and get up to 720 Watts. :-)