RP5 sub popping, VERY UNHAPPY.

Patrick TX

I tried hooking up the week old NEW RP5's the way Boa suggested last week. I really appreciated the information! I bought a Yamaha RX-V1 with dual subwoofer jacks this week. Amazingly, the Yamaha high pass crossover matched the RP5s. WELL, all sounded good at LOW volume. Much better actually, more clarity. Convention wiring, they sounded muffled at low volume. When they got up there volume wise, I smiled & then was naseaus. The Horn was so awesome! The bass SUCKED! MUDDY, & rattling the cabinet like crazy. SO, I added the RCA's, & set them to Small. POP! says the Rp5 R main, at a MEASLY 35 volume reading during some CD listening. Set it to large, same thing. Both knobs are at 12 O'clock, 10 O'clock POP, were gonna POP, around the clock tonight &%$#%^$%&! Monsters Inc. DVD, 5 POPS dialed down to 3 O'clock. I'm PISSED to say the least! These subs are not a good compliment to the rest of the speaker IMHO. I went to Bjorns in San Antonio today, & listened to a pair of RC3II's that sound MUCH better than these! As a matter of fact, they sounded better than the RF5's that were next to them. A Sony DA4ES was driving them. I have 18hrs to keep these, or eat the freight & send them back. I LOVE the RC3II center, sweet. Methinks these are going back. No wonder Klipsch dicontinued them. Why would Klipsch not put the REFERENCE SUB in the REFERENCE TOWER?

Patrick, something is wrong in your setup. If not, then both speakers are defective - not that likely. The symptoms you describe are not typical of RP-5's. Something else is amiss. I do not know how you have them wired. Why not contact our tech support staff at 800-klipsch to have them help?

We did not include Reference subwoofer in the RP-3 adn RP-5 because they did not exist at the time we built those two speakers. If they had, it would have driven up the cost of those models a great deal. The problem you are experiencing is not due to lame subwoofers in the speaker.

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually taking the day off to get to the bottom of this. I was/am not bashing Klipsch. I have Quintet Sub/Sat in my bedroom, and PM 5.1 on my CPU. I LOVE these products. I'm not "flaming", just venting. I DO plan on calling CS, as soon as they open. By the time I was ready, they were closed. I will give them a shot. Thanks.

" Both knobs are at 12 O'clock, 10 O'clock"

patrick, did you see my post after yours in the HT section? i think the above is the problem. i never left my rp sub output (contour) knobs higher than all the way down or flat (got this bottoming out when i did turn those up). & they were still too much bass compared to the other drivers.

i traded to the rf-3 & sub before i got a sound meter. but that might be good to adjust the other drivers more in line w/ the sub. also try dif placements.

your sub setting on the yammy should be on "both" but you may want to try the "sw" setting & hear if it makes any dif.