RP-250F horn causing narrow soundstage and phase issues? Help!

JoelArt

Hi, I just upgraded to RP-250F for a very good price, I'm coming from Audioengine A5 desktop speakers that I think sound rather good with what to me sound like a wide stereo sound stage but wanted an upgrade in quality. My problem is that the Klipsch seem to be extremely sensitive to "toe angle". At first I had them parallel to my TV (not aimed at me) but the sound seemed a bit off, almost like they were are a bit out of phase and they had a slight nasal sound with the mids receding. I have the MiniDSP so I can easily test it and they are in phase, I also have UMIK-1 and measured them both in REW and they both actually measure very similar and flat from my listening position except a bit more base extension on the Klipsch.

So as I start to switch back to and forth from my Audioengine (standing on-top of the Klipsch),  I noticed that the A5 feel very relaxed to my ears and moving my listening position left to right and changing their toe-in doesn't change how the music sounds and feel. The biggest thing is, I don't get that out of phase sensation. From my googling I understand that high frequencies are very directional and I'm wondering if the Klipsch horns are the culprit. If I toe them in so I can even see their outside just so, they sound much more relaxed, virtually in phase and there is less sensitivity to moving my head side to side. I believe have them fairly well set up (3.5 x 5 m living room ), 70cm from the wall, I sit with my back to the long wall with the speaker in a ca 2.5m triangle set up.

I guess I want to ask, is this out of phase sensation and toe angle sensitivity due to the use of horns on speakers. should I perhaps return these and buy another type of speakers?

Edited by JoelArt