Klipsch THX ultra 2 surrounds

ZDoug

it's great to read the strong opinions re surround speakers. I enjoyed reading the comments of Horn Ed and Mr Mcgoo. I have a question and hope you both can comment (as well as others).Iam waiting for the Thx Ultra 2 Klipschs to come out in the Spring. They are pictured on page 29 of the Nov02 Widescreen review Mag. My dilemma,of course is with my room and the surrounds.My room is only 16x16x8 with an open kitchen which results in no wall to my left.In back of the couch is a sliding glass window w/cloth levelors. So......I can't wall mount tomy left or in back. The room is used for HT only.I want to set up a 6.1 or better a 7.1 system. I do have about 5' between the back of my couch and the sliding door.I know the wdst's are designed to be wall mounted. What would I lose in sound stage,effects,imaging etc.if I used the same LCR forthe 3 or 4 speakers in the side and back. The same question if I used 4 of Klipsch's new surrounds on tall stands. The new surrounds are still wdst types but they each have a pair of 5.25" woofers and 5" tweeters.Each woofer and tweeter set is on an angled baffle facing opposite the other ,with the tweeters on a diagonal to one another. Well it's easier to just see picture. Anyway the point is what be the effect of putting these speakers on stands as opposed to walls. I know that this is a technical question but it sounds like Horn Ed and Mr McGoo have enough knowledge to answer the question. Again films only,with an ultra 2 receiver. Sorry for the long question but the A/V sales people I talk to don't know what they are talking about. I trust you guys more. Thanks.1.gif

ZDoug,

The new Ultra 2 speakers will not be an exact timber match for your Reference speakers. The Ultra 2s may be close, but I would go for the perfect match with RS-7s.

I have Reference speakers with an Ultra 2 receiver in a 7.1 setup. I have been very creative in hiding surround speakers, so that my theater does not look like it has been overrun by Klipsch. There was a bit of a challenge in getting the channel levels in balance, but movies sound great IMO.

My advice is to look at all of the possibilities. Try as many as you can, then go with whatever works the best. I would try to keep your theater from becoming a perfect square. There have been posts on this forum and others on theater demensions. Rectangles work better than squares.

Bill

Mr M: Thanks for the reply but I won't be using my R7's at all. They will used in another room just for music. So I am building a new HT system. I will be buying the entire THX ultra 2 system. My question was really aimed at what I would lose (besides looks) by mounting the 2 WDST sides and the 2 backs on tall stands as opposed to wall mounting them. Or should I just use the new Ultra 2 front lf/cent/rt speakers in the back on stands.In that case I would probably use 2 on the sides and one in the back. All 6 speakers would then be identical and monopoles.What would I lose in that setup vs the stand mounted WDST's.That's why I mentioned you and Horn Ed since you both seem to have different ideas about what type of surrounds are best.The twist I added was stand mounted WDST's vs Monpoles that match the fronts. Thanks again. This is a hard decision. I don't trust designers (in general) because I think they push Their favorite speakers.1.gif

ZDoug,

Surround speakers should theoretically be placed above the listening position, so stands would probably need to be custom made. I would search the web first however.

If you go with Ultra 2 speakers, get the full set. The sound should pan seamlessly around the theater during surroud effects.

THX specs have very specific sound dispersion requirements based upon state of the art research. You will not get the full benefit of THX without the full system IMO. Some folks do not like older THX speakers with multi-channel music. Very few Ultra 2 speakers are out there to evaluate with music.

If it were me, I would keep the Reference speakers in the home theater. I would go with Klipsch Heritage speakers for a music system.

Bill

Bill: When you say If I go with The Ultra 2's I should go with the full set do you mean with the WDST's sourrounds on stands? Or do you mean go with the same front 3 speakers all the way around with 2 sides and 0ne back.(all monopole).In the release Klipsch says the package is available with all speakers the same. ie, 5,6 or 7 speakers all like the front 3. I still don't know what I would be missing in rear and back sound if I used the front Ultra 2's as 2 sides and one back vs the new WDST's as 2 sides and 2 backs on stands.1.gif1.gif

ZDoug,

I recommend the surrounds that are designed for the system, not front channels spekers in the rear. I may incorrectly be assuming that home theater is your primary use for this system.

If you plan on heavy SACD and DVD-A use now or in the future, then identical speakers all around is the way to go IMO. DVD-A is supposed to have 5 identical, full-range speakers. So the questions are (1) what is the ratio of movies and TV to music that you forsee, and (2) are you interested in DVD-A and/or SACD?

Hi-res multi-channel music is in its infancy. There are many problems that need to be resolved. But, multi-channel music is the future of the music industry. (That is why copy protection is such a big issue with DVD-A.)

Bill