Wireless home theater considerations?

bcaporale

I am investigating a Klipsch wireless home theater system and I would like to see if anyone has experience with this technology? Specifically, I am looking at the Klipsch Reference wireless 3.1 sound system (RW-51M, RW-34C, RW-100SW, WiSA wireless transmitter).

WiSA transmitter:

Any potential concerns with leveraging XBox One as a console/receiver?     

Any potential concerns with transmitter strength/connectivity with speakers? Distance limitations? 

Speakers:

Any potential concerns with sound quality or strength?

Any other wireless home theater logistics to take into consideration? 

First, there are multiple WISA transmitters from different vendors.  The one from WISA is called the SoundSend, there are also 2 from Axiim, the Axis (which requires a 2019 or later LG TV or an X-Box to act as the HDMI switch via a USB connection to the Axis.  The AXiim Q-UHD Hub does not require the X-Box as it is a hub.  Klipsch also made but discontinued the RP-HUB1, a hub for their prior HD speakers.  Additionally, Enclave makes a transmitter but it will only work with their speakers and they don't sell it separately.  The same is true of Bang and Olufson.

All WISA transmitters have a 30' range.  They are intended for use in a single room.  Only the SoundSend has any Dolby Atmos support or eARC HDMI support.  None support DTS.

The big advantage to a hub design setup is that you only use the TV to display video and you are not constrained by the TV's handling of the audio stream, whether it passes through the signal or processes it first and sends it as something else (usually a Multi-Channel PCM) is avoided.  The disadvantage is that some of your smart TV capabilities may not work as well as you would like.  Your input devices, Roku Ultra, Shield TV, Apple TV 4K, etc. are plugged into the hub and the hub is plugged into the HDMI/ARC/eARC port on the TV.  The hub has to have ARC and CEC support to allow you to control the devices, volume control and the TV from the TV's remote.  Without a hub you must have a smart TV where you can control your inputs and stream the audio to the transmitter.

Depending on the device, I have found the sound quality to be excellent when everything is connected and being processed correctly but it can be bad with frequent drops and shifts in the wrong setup.  See my attached spreadsheets for more information.

Audio Results for SoundSend 1.21.pdf Audio Results for SoundSend 1.21-Settings Changed.pdf

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm brand new here to the forums and also new to upgraded TV sound in general.

I just bought a TCL 6 series (Google TV). I also have the Platin Monaco 5.1 with SoundSend. While it's no doubt better than a soundbar I personally found the sub and center channel extremely lacking in oomph and clarity. The fronts and rears actually sound fairly decent to me.

Budget is a huge issue but I'd like to replace the Monaco center and sub with Klipsch. Will the RW-34c replace the Monaco center and work with the existing SoundSend? 

Thanks in advance