Distorted Sound

middlecreekguy

I just recently tried to play the multi-player side of RTCW and I`m getting totally distorted sound. The single player has no problems of this sort. I`ve got it set to my modem (56k). I have had the same problem with a couple of single player demos. Has anyone here had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?

Can you please post the following information: sound card model and OS.

it's possible that your soundcard is having issues playing audio at 22khz since the multiplayer side of RTCW is locked at this sampling rate. go into the single player side and see if youc an set the audio at this rate to see if my guess holds true.

some other things to try is see if a patch is available for the game and also if newer drivers exists for you soundcard. oh yeah, Microsoft has also released a new version of DirectX9.0a which you might also wish to try if the two other things don't resolve your problem.

I am using an Audigy MP3 with Windows XP. I have had the audio set at 22khz on both sides. Single sounds great. I did switch to low to see if that made any difference. It did not. I already installed a new driver for the Audigy but that did me no good. I think I`ve recently installed the DirectX9.0a but I`ll double check. Patches are my next step. I`ll let you know what happens. Thanks for the suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 3/28/2003 3:49:00 PM middlecreekguy wrote:

I am using an Audigy MP3 with Windows XP. I have had the audio set at 22khz on both sides. Single sounds great. I did switch to low to see if that made any difference. It did not. I already installed a new driver for the Audigy but that did me no good. I think I`ve recently installed the DirectX9.0a but I`ll double check. Patches are my next step. I`ll let you know what happens. Thanks for the suggestions.

----------------

OK. I do have DirectX9 installed. I just got Windows service packet installed also. Still distorted sound. I`m at a loss for a solution. And apparently so is everyone else.

The problem is probably your sound card. My sound card craps out easily when I mess with my EQ (I have an SBlive4.17.gif). Don't worry about it, it's easy to fix:

1) Turn down the levels of the bass on any equalizers you have.

2) Turn down the volume on your computer, and turn up the volume on your speakers. This will reduce how much your sound card has to process.

3) Make sure you haven't blown anything out.