Hamish's vintage Crown & LaScala & sub setup

Myhamish

Someone mentioned they wanted to see more hardware, so here's my vintage setup in thefront parlour. It includes a Luxman T210 cassette deck, Luxman T 230 tuner, Denon DCD 695 cd player, Soundcraftsman 2215 equalizer, Crown IC150 preamp, Crown IC150 power amp, a hinged storage space, Crown OC150A meter and switching unit, Crown VFX2A crossover, and Crown DC300A strapped for mono driving the sub ( 300 wpc rms @ 8 ohms ). Everything works great. Right now, there's a pair of Klipsch LaScalas being driven by the IC150 power amp ( 75 wpc rms @ 8 ohms per side ). The subs are two KEF B300 12" woofers in a custom crossbraced cabinet similar to a B&W Matrix construction. Normally, I have the Heresy 2's in there with the sub which is a really nice setup but I wanted to see what the LaScalas would sound like( the significant other quotient wanted them out the dining room too ). I broke one placement rule and have one LaScala on it's side on a sub, so the horns are still at ear level but vertical rather than horizontal. I'm wondering if that affects the dispersion characteristics in any major way, but they sure sound good. Although they are physically stuffed into the room, there is an amazing amount of detail to listen to with a realism in the mids and highs in even older recordings. ( like 'Relish' by Joan Osborne, 'Famous Blue Raincoat' by Jennifer Warnes or Suzanne Vega's first album (" My name is Luka, I live on the second floor....etc". LaScalas do seem to need a sub to fill in the very bottom end. And finally about the Forum - I always thought of myself as an outsider totally focussed on gear and always looking for something better. When I found the forum, a few weeks ago, I've met and read about all kinds of people with similar interests. I've learned much and hope to learn more. The Forum is great. Thanks Klipsch. Hamish

post-12323-1381924774894_thumb.jpg