Interesting about PowerDVD vs. WinDVD

Seb

I am using a Tbird 1G with 512 megs of RAM and a 16X Pioneer DVD drive.

I ran a little comparison test between PowerDVD and WinDVD just for fun.

I ran the Windows system monitor which monitors CPU usage (I don't know how accurate it is though) while playing the Red Room scene in Dolby prologic surround from the Haunting.

With PowerDVD, CPU usage oscillated between 40 and 50%, while with WinDVD it was approx. 5%!!!! That's even less than the normal constant usage in Windows while doing nothing (but with apps running in the background), which is approx. 8-10%...

I'm gonna run a test in Dolby Digital, but I found this pretty interesting.

God I'm bored.

/edit/

the same thing held true for the first scene of Top Gun in Dolby Digital downmixed to 5 channel. PowerDVD around 30-35%, WinDVD around 10%. I thought maybe it was because in PowerDVD there is a control bar available at all times when you move your mouse to the upper edge of the screen, but I enabled the control bar on WinDVD (it showas at all times) and nothing changed.

Wow, that's really interesting. LOL, too bad I just got PowerDVD! Seb, if you're still bored, can you disable hardware acceleration in both? I wonder how much of a difference that makes.

------------------

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're absolutely right.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...