rear speakers

harvey26

hi i have a dennon 1801 with sb3 klipsch, sc1 center sub10 ,yet my rear speakers are polk speakers ,should i get ss1 would they sound better for sourrond sound?also my settings are as follows front r-1db front l-1db my center-1db sub=0db r rear -0db and lrear -1db do these sound correct?my fronts and center and sub are about 10feet and rears about 7feet thanksharvey

------------------

harvey stern

Guest BobG

Hi Harvey. Welcome to the bulletin board.

Normally, you'd get tons of response from the many nice people who actively participate here, but your question really has no answer. Just like asking what the best gas pedal and gear choice is to go 52 MPH. It all depends. Room acoustics, amplifier design, distance to the various speakers, what the speakers are etc. Too many variables to give you a meaningful answer. On the other hand, you are not way out of whack, so there is nothing to be too worried about. If you really want to dial things in - and there is ample reason to do so - go spend $35 on the Radio Shack analog Sound Level Meter. Use it pointing up held right in front of your face while seated in the prime listening position. Turn on the pink noise test tones in the receiver. Set the SLM to C weighting and Slow response time (this will make sense when you get the meter) and adjust all channels to play at 75dB. You'll be good to go.

Matching rear speakers will maintain proper level balance across a wide range of volumes. Mismatched speakers will not.

Most of all have fun. This isn't rocket surgery to borrow a malapropism from my friend Rich.