Cruising the waves in my Lafuma

edwardre

Good day. Been awhile. Believe it or not, I think I'm done tinkering for now (are we really ever 'done'?), been just enjoying.

Was on vacation the other month visiting a buddy in OR. Out on the back porch he had a couple of outdoor recliners. I don't know if it was the 10 hour drive, but I swear that they were the most comfortable chairs I had sat in. Lafumas. Suppose to be "zero gravity", whatever that means. My enjoyment was so complete that I ordered up one the other week for the purpose of sporting the 'ultimate' camping chair at the yearly bird hunting camp. It arrived 2 days ago. Rather than toss it in the trailer to stow for eventual use, I decided to test drive the Lafuma to make sure that I did not receive a defective unit. Figured the HT room to be a good spot to flop it out, plenty of real estate mid-room. There are evidently 2 types, one padded, the other 'mesh'. I chose mesh simply because the intention was outdoor use.

Wild horses can not drag my Lafuma out of the HT at this point.

I know that most everyone has their 'favorite chair' for either/both movies or pure music. So did I. To me, the Lafuma takes the whole experience to a higher level. Open mesh ensures that no surround/rear sound waves are 'baffled', 'muted', or in anyway 'throttled' whilst still providing that much required head and neck support. The 'zero-gravity' effect makes one feel like you are floating in air, suspended right at sound level.

I first set the thing smack dab in the middle of the room. It's lightweight, collapsable and portable so you can on a whim place it anywhere. I turned out the lights and flamed in DSOM (in SACD). OH MY! From that moment on, things changed in the HT room. Words cannot adequately describe. Next was a few chapters of the latest Star Trek flick, the ones where they're zippity-swooshing through the galaxies. Since you're essentially floating in the lafuma, the space scenes took on a new 'feel'. Almost gave me vertigo. The best part was that I could sit and watch fully any movie without getting 'chair fatigue'. Not to sound like the local Lafuma shill, but this thing is the nuts.

Anyone else try HT-ing in a Lafuma? Or have suggestions as to other 'perfect' listening/viewing seating? I had no idea just how important this 'component' is to the overall experience! Now I have to get one for the missus....

Here's my final system:

HT AUDIO:

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Denon 1600 (DVD-A)

Sony DVP-755N (SACD)

V, Inc Bravo-D1 (Video)

SVHS: Panasonic PV-VS4821

CD: Onkyo Model 702

Furman AR-1215 Power Regulator

2-CHANNEL AUDIO:

Amp: Dyna ST-70 (Van Alstine mods)

Pre-amp: Dyna PAS2 (Van Alstine mods)

Tubes: Mullards

Speakers:

Front Mains (and 2-Channel): Factory Custom 1954 Klipschorns Type "A"

Woofers: Stephens Trusonic 103LX2 (Factory Stock)

Midranges: Altec 511b horn (Modification)

University SAHF driver (Factory Stock)

Tweeters: University 4401 (Factory Stock)

Networks: Klipsch K500-5000 (Factory Stock)

Front Center: 1974 Klipsch Belle

Woofer: Stephens Trusonic 103LX2

Midrange: Altec 511b horn

University SAHF driver

Tweeter: University HF-206

Network: Klipsch K500-5000

Surrounds: 1985 Klipsch Cornwalls

Woofers: Stephens Trusonic 103LX2

Midranges: University Cobreflex horn

University SAHF driver

Tweeters: Klipsch K77

Networks: Klipsch Type "B"

Rear Center: Homemade Klipsch Belle clone

Woofer: Stephens Trusonic 103LX2

Midrange: Altec 511b horn

University SAHF driver

Tweeter: University HF-206

Network: Klipsch K500-5000

VIDEO:

InFocus LP350 DLP Front Projector

10x5 Parkland Plastics based screen

ROOM:

20x20 w/vaulted ceiling

Slab foundation

Open Mesh Lafumas

I like to test drive stuff too.I have a car seat in the middle of my living room along with one of those squawk boxes you hang on your car door window. It really gives you that Drive-In feel. Gotta go. Its Intermission!