3 SET 2A3 amplifier/Klipschorn Review

Erik Mandaville

I will have the new Klipschorns in their places by Saturday evening. I plan to have them on constantly and alternately using the Moondogs and Horus amps, and will then include the DRD in the mix when it (they) are finished -- I estimate about a 3 day building period and testing.

Since so many here have been curious about the perceived differences between the amps, I will post findings on the outcome. I am planning to audition each with the exact same tracks, with the same types of music. This will include acoustic jazz (also some stuff from recent Pat Metheny), classical Baroque, classic rock, solo classical guitar, symphonic, etc.

Descriptions won't be overly long and drawn-out, but just some general impressions of the three different SET topologies.

I can't boast of elaborate source equipment right now, but I wanted to jump on the K-horns when I had the chance. Good TTs and digital sources are far more easily acquired these days.

Erik

I just put in an order for some new La Scalas, around mid Nov, and i'm curious how they sound with the new crossover compared to the old one. How long did it take from putting in the order to setting them up in your house? I was told 6-8 weeks. Well I'm sure you will enjoy your new Khorns as much as I will my LS. Let me know what you are running them with.

Hi, xman.

Actually, my writing is misleading -- sorry about that. The Khorns are NOT new, and are only 'new' in the sense that they will be new speakers we haven't heard or owned before. New Klipschorns would have cost several times the price we paid. But congratulations on your own recent La Scala purchase! I know we would all like to see pictures of them when you get them. My K-horns were obviously not delivered, but arrived at house by way of two round trips in the back of my Subarua Baja (love that car!). Bass bins were put in the back on Sarah's big bed (she's a dog), and the midrange and tweeter sections were put inside on the back seats.

My amplifiers are ones I built myself. The design is called the Horus, and was based on Jeff Lessards original 2A3 parallel-feed amplifier. They are monoblocks.

Again, congrats on your purchase! Brand new La Scalas -- Wow!

Erik