HT Cabinetry for Drop-Down Screen

dbb

I've been trying to find a manufacturer of AV cabinetry that would accommodate an 85in diagonal drop-down screen. What I have in mind is two taller cabinets (one on each side of the screen), and a lower, center section, like a credenza or something. It would appear to be a wall unit when the screen is up, so I want the gear and speakers hidden behind doors and grills.

The center section would have to be relatively low and accommodate an RC3 center speaker, while the taller cabinets would house my gear and RB3s.

I see tons of this type of cabinetry for big screen TVs to fit into, but nothing for drop-downs, and I'm really not interested in going the custom route.

Salamander has come the closest of anything I've seen, but they don't have the width needed in the center section for my screen.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm curious as to why you're not interested in going the custom route? If it's the cost, I can attest that if you do some shopping and your homework, you can get exactly what you want for not much more than a "store bought" unit that you'll most likely have to modify.

In a previous house I had a custom wall unit made because of the height & odd length of the wall it was to be placed on (the wall unit ended up being 90" tall) and it needed to house my 46" Mitsu widescreen. I got the guy who did the cabinets in the house to do the wall unit. It was all in white with many nice features such as roll out shelves, lighting, etc. and designed to look like a bookcase. Anyhow, that unit was made in 5 pieces and was 90" high by 110" long and cost me $1600 installed.

Tom

Wow, Tom! I want the name of your contractor!

I had considered custom, but the estimates I'd been getting all came in aroung the $7K - $10K range, which I thought was outrageous. These were with guys who build custom from the ground up.

We have quite a few home theater stores in the Dallas area; media rooms are standard fare with most of the larger home builders here. Folks have been building some extravagant cinemas in their homes, so these are probably the kinds of prices that these guys can demand.

Mine was a small job, and I wasn't asking for exotic woods or anything. I wanted equipment/speaker pillars on each side of the screen that would extend up to the ceiling and tie into the cornice molding that would hide the screen housing. My only other request was that it not be pine.

So maybe I should just go to a regular cabinet store. Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1