Different system

Hi guys. I was out for a cocktail after work and ended up at a friends place to listen to his system. He has a MK MX 125 sub with KG 2.9's. it sounds ok, loud and all, but has not much for soundstage, depth, etc. Any recommendations on what he could do to improve? Running a Denon 3600 for both HT and 2 channel.

I have been running my KLF 20s thru a Dennon 4800 which sounds very good for home theater but just okay for stereo.

So I'm getting a preamp and 2 monoblock amps and also buying some new La Scalas. So I would tell your friend to go with a preamp and amp. If his budget is tight then have him check Ebay for deals.

In hindsight, I guess this was a pretty vague and basically unanswerable question. Blame it on the time and the potent potables. However, it was my first exposure to HT in quite a while, and a couple basic questions remain.

1) It sounded good during the action scenes, but during slow moments, the bass seemed almost overbearing, even just in background "suspense" music. I'm sure the WAF would be very low if it were her only experience with it. Is that a nature of the beast, or just a system that needed some tweaking? I know he had the sub cranked up to try and impress me, unfortunatly, it did just the opposite.

2) How much, or little, do the rears contribute to the overall sound? it seemed that they only were noticable for maybe 10-15% (WAG) of the time. Again, is this normal, or an adjustment?

Thanks for any replies to someone trying to learn.

*edit* Sorry, just realized this sould be in the HT forum. If someone could move it for me, thanks. If not, OOPS!