New Rega Planet�problem solved.

jtice

Some of you may remember that my Rega Planet original went belly-up back in August. I got four months of use prior to catastrophic failure of the logic chip. I was offered some well-considered advice with respect to replacement/repair and whether to accept a trade-in offer by my friendly dealer, all of which I appreciate.

After a false start or two I was not comfortable and decided to wait for some separation before revisiting the options. One day while I was listening to music it came to me, like a revelation, that what I really wanted was a new Rega original like the first one. What I did not want was the potential frustration of sending the unit for repairs. I didn't want to trade into a more expensive but lesser quality new player, I didn't want low-end sacd. Based on everything I've read, the Rega seems to be reliablehopefully this was an isolated incident, just a bit of bad luck with the first one. So, that's the decision. I decided to risk another used Rega...

Watching, waiting for just the right one... finally a "new" Rega original arrived yesterday! I patiently waited several more hours for it to come up to temperature before unboxing. When I finally saw it I was most pleasantly surprisedit looked like a brand spankin new unitwe're talking minty. The serial number is thousands higher than the first one, indicating a later build. It sounds dynamic and smooth through the 299B and LaScalas. Better than I remember the first one sounding, although that could have something to do with enthusiasm. I think it would take 2-3 times the bucks to buy anything equal especially considering that it just works so well with the big 'ole horns and tubes. I hope this one will be around for a long time to come.

John