Timbre matching significance witnessed!

popbumper

----------------

On 4/15/2004 5:08:03 PM Cleve wrote:

----------------

On 4/15/2004 2:37:03 PM Q-Man wrote:

On it's side, with a new baffle so the woofers can be mounted at each end with the tweeter and mid. horn in the center. It's a piece of cake. Twist Horn Eds arm a little and maybe he will post a picture of his for you. You can do this with any floor standing speaker that has two woofers.

----------------

Ahhhh, that's what the mod is - relocating the horn and tweeter so they're in a "D'Appolito" arrangement with the twin 12" woofers.

Do you think a CF-4 (or any of the Epics) for that matter would be good, 'as is' for Center Channel Duty? They're only slighly asymetric, resulting from the twin ports at the bottom?

Somebody's got a pair of CF-2's for sale on Audiogon - Would those match the 'timbre' of my CF-4's fairly closely?

4.gif

----------------

i was going to use a KLF-20 as a center channel because it is a smaller speaker than the 30,but w/the same tweet and mid,and similar bass output,BUT the KLF-30 was an 'offer i couldn't refuse'9.gif

i would suggest a 'CF-series speaker that has THE SAME tweet and mid as your CF-4.

as far as the port goes,the klf's are rear-ported at the 'bottom' of the speaker-the way i'm using it the port will be to the right or left of the speaker in the rear(probably the right as my right output is slightly less than the left-maybe that will help 'balance' the sound when i'm playing in surround.

avman.

Yep, it's not only possible it makes for one of the finest HT systems I have ever built. I have found no substitute for getting the most out of DVD's than having six speakers... one for every discrete channel in a 6.1 system.

The key to the Main DVD speaker (e.g., the front center channel to which over 75% of the sound is directed) is to build a new motorboard (or baffle board as some refer to it). For the front center I build the new motorboard with the tweeter and mid-range horns stacked and the woofers as close together as possible... this makes a tighter center channel for linking screen action. The "horizontalized" KLF-30 sits nicely atop a 65" Mitsubishi RPHD television... the upgrade quality of the HT is in an overused word, "AWESOME"...

I also use horizontalized KLF-30's for the rear array... only I place the woofers as far apart as I can. This tends to make the sweet spot much wider. -HornEd